From Pole to Pole

Daniel J. Cox, who actively cooperates with well-known international group of conservation of polar bears, the last 25 years of his life spent traveling from pole to pole and documenting wildlife and amazing scenery. Daniel spent 25 years at the opposite ends of the Earth, photographing wildlife and the impacts of climate change, both in the north and the south pole.

According to US research group the Center for Biological Diversity, which worked closely with Daniel, the melting of sea ice on the western shore of Hudson Bay is currently going for about three weeks earlier than it was three decades ago. The group argues that the population of polar bears in Hudson Bay, which Daniel has worked for most of his adult life, decreased by 22% in the interval from 1987 to 2004.

15 photos from the expeditions of Daniel.
via telegraph.co.uk translation

1. "One of my favorite photos of the last quarter-century, it is that which shows a female polar bear only a few millimeters from the lens," - said Daniel. "I started my journey from the base at Churchill, Manitoba, Canada, on a specially designed machine for tundra Tundra Buggy, or as it is called Buggy One, who donated the organization Polar Bears International. Thus, using a Tundra Buggy, I was able to stick out my camera through a hatch in the bottom of the car when we met a female polar bear and her two cubs. The camera caught her attention, and she was curious, she began to explore the lens, licking it. After that I had twenty minutes to clean the lens with saliva polar bear

2. "The difference in the environment of the Arctic, which I have observed in the last two decades, just unbelievable," - said 50-year-old Daniel, who lives in the city Bozemen, in the US state of Montana. "Polar bears, in order to feed their need to travel on the ice, they are beginning with the month of November. This season, in 2010, they did not have until December 7. This means that the bears almost a month, could not eat normally. Scientists estimate that the population of polar bears in western Hudson Bay could disappear over the next 30 years, or at least their number will fall sharply.
In the photo: Polar Bear climbs a tree near Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.

3. The female polar bear and her cub walking across the ice on the shores of Hudson Bay near Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.

4. Having been in the frozen wilds of the Southern Ocean, at least three times, Daniel has a deep connection with the last wilderness on Earth. "Antarctica is very difficult to take pictures of scenery with its complex," - explained Daniel. "Uniform her desert like landscapes, are very beautiful, but the most pleasant photography, I was on the island of South Georgia. Located among the tens of thousands of king penguins - it's just amazing, as well as to watch near the huge elephant ".

Photo: Coke photographs of penguins in Antarctica.

5. Daniel personally witnessed the threat to unique wildlife of Antarctica. Center for Biological Diversity warned that half of the 19 species of penguins in the world are threatened with extinction.
In the photo: the emperor penguin rookery at Atka Bay, Antarctica.

6. Growing up in an ordinary family in rural Washington State, on the west coast of America, Daniel loved animals since childhood. "In my youth I spent many hours hunting and fishing, enjoying nature of Washington and Minnesota with my father," - explained Daniel. "Seeing all this beauty of nature, I had a desire to protect her, and I did not engaged in hunting. But this does not mean that I do not support the family tradition and proper training hunters and tourists ".
In the photo: A group of walruses in the waters off Baffin Island, Canada.

7. Daniel was asked to become a member of the advisory board of Polar Bears International in 2004. "This is a unique opportunity for me, because I can use my experience to save this species, referring to the public through my work," - he said. "We need to act on this issue and time is of the essence here. Our society, dependent on fossil fuels, should find other alternative fuels, of course, adhering to humanity. I hope that my work with PBI through my pictures, will help people to understand that we need to save ".
In the photo: Polar Bear walking on ice during sunset at Hudson Bay, Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.

8. Adult emperor penguin among the dead cubs on a glacier in Antarctica Reeser Larsen.

9. Emperor penguins in mourning the death of their young, Antarctica.

10. The struggle of two polar bears in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada.

11. Adelie penguins, jumping into the icy water of the Antarctic Peninsula.

12. rookery of emperor penguins through a hole in a block of ice in the Atka Bay, Antarctica.

13. Snowy Owl in flight in Barrow, Alaska.

14. Daniel Cox poses with harp seals in the Magdalen Island, Quebec, Canada.

15. Barrow, Alaska.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting