People from northern fairy tales: the market in Salekhard

Salekhard - the administrative center of YaNAO. There are familiar press and tour operators with the tourist potential of the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous District. Opened hotels of the European level on the line of the Arctic Circle, were treated to fish and venison, showed mammoth "Lyuba". But I wanted to write at all about this and not even about the northern lights and ice sculptures and the prospects of tourism in the Arctic region that the region has, but about meeting the market with these indigenous people of the north.

Prior to our hotel, on the banks of the river Shaytanka stood two tents. It failed to come in the morning. And to be honest, I do in the morning, there was nothing that I could bring to them. Even the candy was not. Since I almost do not eat sweets. And go to hantyytsam (Hunt) in the tent empty handed is not accepted. The next opportunity to talk with the local indigenous population introduced in the market.

People in beautiful national costumes in the cold and cold selling exactly what nature gives them. Basically, it is a fish. Whitefish here in special honor, venison and products made of reindeer fur. I've never encountered these Nenets hantyytsami. All of my acquaintance with them ended in the photographs of the tourist brochures - a sort matrёshechnaya reality. You look at all these pictures of the tourist brochures, and you think: "Especially for the arrival of tourists dressed beautifully».
14 photos via rgo_news

1. Saw sawn meat on the spot.

2. Fish.

3. Near the snowmobile.

4. Delivery.

5. The whole family.

6. Salekhard market. After some time, they agreed to persuasion that I photographed them.

7. Women in the frame hides his face.

8. Market in Salekhard.

9. After a short conversation. People have started to fine me react.

10. General view of the market. Local indigenous people trades outside the market.

14. Pike Right.

And everything is for real. People dressed nicely is not for tourists, but simply because they had come to the city. They traveled on snowmobiles from the tundra to the market brought gifts tundra and the fruits of his labor ... They live today as their ancestors lived hundreds of years ago. Because of the benefits of civilization indigenous population now mostly uses: snowmobiles, diesel generators, mobile phones and televisions. They live in harmony with nature, taking her most necessary.

In communion they proved they were not wordy. When dealing with them immediately to mind tales of the North. Amaze, of course, their eyes and attitudes. They and the natural wildness, and dignity and a certain perplexity in the modern world. Establish contact with them psychological managed all at once. I wanted them to take pictures. It turned out that without demand - bad form. This I knew, and always asked. This, incidentally, help to start a conversation and establish psychological contact. Some immediately asked for money. I would not, of course. In general, the vast majority agreed. Women are less likely to agree that I photographed them.

He began to talk to them about what is good or bad, that people go to them. It turned out that the tourists is good. But the people who come north to work in search of a better life - bad. I asked, "Why is that bad?" - "Outlaw many divorced" - answered me. During the conversation slipped a lot of interesting phrases. But the word "thieves" I was impressed. They said "bandits" and "criminals" or someone else. The word "bandits" in our time, too, is mostly found in fairy tales.
Here they are, these people from fairy tales. Insanely interesting to their inner world, which they do not really even allowed. Carefully protect him. Maybe it's for the best. Maybe that's why they carried their fabulous identity through the centuries, keeping it to this day.

Photo: © Yaroslav Nikitin

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting