Gauges smoothbore barrels and ammunition.

Today I want to make a brief explanatory overview about the caliber of hunting shotguns, well and accordingly ammunition. I realize that this article I will not reveal anything new gun owners, but can someone who wants to buy his first barrel of honor and he will fall off a series of questions (who once tormented me, and to ask was somehow ..).
I would call the article "Everything you wanted to know about the smooth-caliber cartridges, but were afraid to ask," but it will not fit in the title of the topic.

In the 90s of the last century (20) were produced Drake-4 rifle, caliber 4 ... at the moment the gun is a rarity.

So, what is the caliber shotgun? For the smooth-bore hunting rifle calibers are measured in a different way: the number is an integer number of fire round bullets, which can be cast from one pound of lead (453, 6 g). Bullets thus should be spherical, identical in weight and diameter, which is equal to the inner diameter of the trunk in the middle part. The smaller the diameter of the barrel, the greater the number of bullets. Thus the twentieth caliber less than tenth, twelfth and sixteenth less.

It turns out that the diameter of the barrel 410 mm caliber -10-10.2, 20kalibra -15, 6 mm, 16 mm calibrator 16.8 and 18.5mm 12 calibrator.
Roughly speaking, the smaller the number the greater the designation calibrator trunk diameter.

At the moment, Russia shotguns are manufactured in calibers (ASC) 410, 20, 16, 12. Caliber 410 is represented in our market Saiga-410 (as far as I know more than anything in this caliber we have not performed).

Just in naming caliber cartridges for shotguns, as well as in the marking of ammunition for rifles, taken to indicate the length of the sleeve, for example: 12/70 - 12 caliber cartridge with a sleeve length of 70 mm. In our market we are (at least that I've seen) sizes of sleeves 12/70 classic, 12 / 76- magnum. Polumagnum I have not seen, so I will not be misleading. (Photo)

A little retreat about "Magnum" loads. They differ from conventional cartridges only in that they 1) - more shot charge 2) is greater than the average maximum pressure (66MPa 90-100Mpa instead from classical cartridges) .This true for the 12-gauge.

Buying shotgun see what his chamber. For example Boar Hammer 12 is released and chambered chambered 12/70 and 12/76. Rifle chambered 12/76 may use cartridges 12/70 and 12/76, while the rifle chambered 12/70 created only for patrons 12/70! (Photo)

chamber 12/76

Yes, the actual diameter of the bore of the gauge depends, first, on the specific manufacturer and, secondly, by porting a certain type of liner: metal or plastic (Papkova).
Just pay attention to the restriction of the trunk. Some guns are already a narrowing (mostly hunting athletic trunks), the so-called "choke." This is done to increase the accuracy of the shot charge. With these trunks when firing a bullet (about bullet cartridges gladkostvol I'll talk below) have to be careful. Not every bullet suitable for these trunks.
A small digression about the chokes. Chokes are: tsilindry- without suzheniya9 designation usually on the trunk 00), poluchok- narrowing of about 0, 5 mm, and chok- narrowing of up to 1 mm ... when shooting caliber bullet from a choke stvola- can damage the barrel! (Photo)

Caliber and barrel. I think everything's talk about cartridges and shot.

Chucks.

Few tediousness. Shot cartridge for shotgun: 1 crimping "asterisk"; 2-container (hub); 3 - roll; 4b, 14, 15 - wads and pads; 5 - plastic housing sleeve; 7-powder; 8 base sleeve; 9 - pan; 10 - flange sleeves; 11 - cap; 12 - ignition vent; 13 - osalka main wad (photo).

A bit of fraction Fraction ... is a small steel (or lead) balls that are loaded with hunting cartridges. The rooms are a fraction of 10 to 0. Remember a simple rule, the higher the number the less drobi- fraction. drob- tenth respectively, the smallest diameter of a ball about 1.7 mm, and the largest "five zeros" in diameter -5.5mm ball.
By the way, can meet the fraction with the designation "C" (for example Fraction 3C) - which means speed. Fraction in the cartridge is in a container that provides a stronger crackdown fraction. The container is opened and "releasing" already is a fraction of the barrel ... container provides greater accuracy. (Photo)

Kartech- it's just a big shot. The size of the smallest buckshot, KartechVA-6.2 mm to the largest size with Kartech1- ball 9mm. (Photo)
So a simple example, a shot cartridge with kartechyu1 send the target of 8 pieces 9mm beads thus one shot so the patron is (roughly) one holder issued by PM ...

Bullet cartridges. Oh, that's a difficult question to the many types of shotgun bullets that listing them does not make sense. Again, roughly speaking, it's a healthy one (caliber) of lead having both simple and complex spherical shape (sometimes with stabilizers flight). Bullets gladkostvol on their distance have a high muzzle energy (okolo2500-3000 J) which is sufficient for reliable destruction of big game.

I finish this, if admitted inaccuracies or errors- correct. Your Haupman

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting