10 creative breakthroughs

1. Periodic table

It is said that Dmitri Mendeleev worked three days without rest, before allowing yourself to close your eyes for a few minutes. And rather than fall asleep at seventeen hours, as would happen with most people deprived of sleep, Mendeleev dreamed scheme of arrangement of elements, which forever changed the world of chemistry, and jumped twenty minutes to write it.

"I saw in a dream a table in which all the elements took their strictly certain place. Waking up, I immediately wrote it on the piece of paper ... Only in one place subsequently had to be amended. " 2. «Yesterday»

Paul McCartney was 22 years old when he "woke up with a nice little melody in my head," and I thought, "That's great, but what is it?».

He stood up and easy to pick up a melody on the piano, but was sure that just heard this song a few years ago and remembered it subconsciously. When after a while it turned out that it was his own melody, McCartney sketched a humorous text: «Scrambled eggs, oh, my baby, how I love your legs» («Scrambled Eggs, Oh baby, how I love your legs.") .

This text is, of course, came later.

3. Frankenstein Monster

Mary Shelley was bored with her husband, Percy Bysshe, Lord Byron, and several other well-known literary creators, when they decided to make a small literary competition.

Mary was in a creative stupor - not yet gone to bed, and she was not a dream, "an eerie vision of the corpse of a man who started to show signs of life when earned a powerful engine, and he began to move with heavy inanimate movements».

Excited by the fact that her creative stupor passed, Shelley decided that "If it scared me - scared and others; and everything that I needed - it just describe a monster that I dreamed in my nightmares midnight ».

4. Jekyll and Hyde

Robert Louis Stevenson once faced with the same problem: the story did not want to develop.

He knew he wanted to write about the dual nature of man, but he did not have any idea how to set about it, and he was depressed by the fact that the head does not appear suitable plot. And then he closed his eyes.

"On the second night I had a dream: the scene in the box, which is then split into two, one of them Hyde tried to escape after some crime. He grabbed some powder and suddenly changed the face of his pursuers ».

5. A series of "Twilight»

No matter whether you are a fan of stories about longing and inflated bloodsucking werewolves, you have to admit that Stephenie Meyer has managed to create something to impress her readers. And it is bound to this one catchy sleep.

"I saw two people on a small circular meadow in the rays of bright sunlight. One of them was a beautiful, sparkling young man, and the other - an ordinary girl, and they were talking, "she said in an interview in 2009. "The young man was a vampire, it was quite strange, and he tried to explain to her how much he feels for her, and at the same time - how much he wants to kill her».

Yes, it's "Twilight". Meyer recorded their sleep, because, she says, it is so very different from her everyday life of the mother and housewife that she wanted to keep it. "I just really wanted to remember. That's why I started to write it down - I do not think that this could be the basis for a novel ».

6. Necronomicon

HP Lovecraft saw his famous "Book of the Dead" in a dream, including - and its fancy name.

What he did not see - so it is the value of this book: he did not have any idea what this strange word, but just in case recorded it. His attempt to translate it about Greek resulted in "the legitimate dead».

Perhaps it indirectly (or directly) inspired by a poem of the first century AD, under the name "Astronomican».

7. Terminator

Looks like there bezemotsionalny cyborg assassin who looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger, a nightmare for you? He was a nightmare for James Cameron.

He struggled with high fever when he was in a dream image of a robot, pullup himself on the floor with a knife in his hand. Incidentally, the best ideas to Cameron seems to come in a dream, just so he came up and avatar.

8. The needle of the sewing machine

Elias Howe, inventor of the modern sewing machine, faced with a problem - how to make it work for a needle in his new invention. Hole in the base of the needle (as in hand needles) totally inappropriate.

Then, wrote the magazine "Popular Mechanics" in 1905, he fell asleep:

"Once he dreamed that he builds a sewing machine in a strange country for cruel king. The King gave him 24 hours to finish the machine and make it work, but no matter how much he tried, nothing worked, and he finally gave in.

At dawn, he was led to execution, and at this point, as often happens in moments of great crisis, he clearly saw that spear accompanying soldiers have holes near the tip. He realized that this is the solution to the problem of the sewing machine needle. He began to beg for more time - and at this point awake. The time was 4:00 am. He dressed quickly and went to his studio - and at 9 o'clock in the model of the needle with a hole at the end was ready ».

9. DNA

The shape and structure of DNA eluded scientists until 1953, when Dr. James Watson had a dream that navёl him the idea of ​​the double helix. According to the history of Indiana University, alma mater of Dr. Watson, he dreamed of two intertwined snakes with their heads at opposite ends, but others argue that it was the vision of two-way spiral staircase.

10. "Misery" by Stephen King

If the authors of bestselling an example to us, all of us ought to take their worst nightmares and turn them into a blockbuster novels.

For example, Kathy Bates break your leg with a sledgehammer. "Misery," according to Stephen King originally dreamed him on the plane. "I dreamed of a woman who is held in custody of the writer, and then killed him, skinned, fed his remains to their pigs, and laced novel in his skin. I said to myself, "I have to write this story." Of course, the story has changed a bit in the process. But I wrote the first 40 or 50 pages directly on the landing, sitting on the stairs between the first and second floors of the hotel. "

Tags

See also

New and interesting