What to do with geranium in early winter

Geranium is the personification of home comfort and comfort. A lovely and unpretentious plant always pleases the eye and soul. My mom has geranium bushes all over the house. At first there was only a kitchen, and then the geranium grew and occupied the balcony. Over time, pots of flowers began to appear in my house.

The trouble is, my mom couldn't see the pots behind the flowers, and I only have a couple of flowers and they're kind of frail. Then my mother gave me some useful advice. "Site" shares with you. Let’s talk about how to provide a great gerani And what to do with the flower in the winter.

The main beauty of geranium is that it does not require special care. A lot of people love her for that. Under the rays of the summer sun, geranium does feel great, you only need to water it from time to time. In winter, care becomes only a little more difficult. Let's get to the bottom of this.

From December to February, the plant has a resting phase, so growth and flowering slow down. Therefore, during this period, you need to stop feeding geranium. Let the flower grow stronger and gain strength. Until January, geranium will still please its owners with lush flowering, which will slowly decrease. In winter, flower growers need to pay attention to the temperature, lighting, watering and pruning. Now, everything in order.

Before the first frost, geraniums need to be taken into the house. However, the flower does not need much heat in winter. It is recommended to put the plant in a cool room. If not, at least on the north side. The ideal temperature for geranium in winter is 10-15 degrees above zero. If it is higher, there is a risk that the plant will shed young buds.

It is important to ensure that the geranium does not stand on the draft. If the flower is on the windowsill, make sure that the leaves do not touch the window. Gerani is comfortable and at a temperature of +4 degrees. This way she can comfortably winter. For example, my mother brings flowers that are outside in the summer to the balcony. It's glazed, but it's still cool. It's 5-7 degrees.

Gerani is a southern plant and loves bright light. If you move a flower to the north window, it will need additional lighting. Without it, the geranium will not bloom, and the leaves will become small by spring. It will be more difficult for the plant to survive the winter period, it will draw a lot of strength from it. The duration of daylight for geranium should be at least 12 hours.

It is best to find a place on the south side, but cooler. Do not be afraid of direct sunlight, geranium tolerates them calmly. Providing the right lighting, by spring you will get a full plant that will please you with lush flowering.

Watering and fertilizing. watering It is produced regularly, but in winter it is permissible to water it once a week. Be sure to make sure that the ground in the pot is evenly moist and does not dry out. Be sure to take care of proper drainage, because stagnation of water at the roots can damage the flower.

It is not recommended to spray geranium, because spots may appear on its leaves. Flowers are often faced with the fact that the leaves of the geranium begin to turn yellow. Many people think that this is due to a lack of fertilizer, and begin to feed the flower. But that is not worth doing.

In fact, the leaves turn yellow more from improper watering. And this can be both from lack of moisture and from excessive watering. The problem can be solved in a simple way - normalize watering. But feed the plant in the winter is not worth it, as it goes into the resting phase.

Pruning and transplanting Geranium requires constant pruning, because without it, the plant will stretch out and cease to bloom beautifully. Also, geranium without pruning is more susceptible to diseases. Just in late autumn or early winter, you need to prune, preparing the plant for wintering.

So how do you do that? First, you only need sterile tools. Secondly, you need to remove all shoots growing from the sinuses. Leave only 6-7 leaves on the stem. Remove all dried leaves and stems. It is necessary to trim the geranium once before wintering and do not disturb the plant until spring. Except to remove dried flowers and leaves.

It is not necessary to transplant geranium in winter without need. If the plant is sick or needs normal drainage, then you can and even need to transplant it. But without urgent reasons, it is better to leave the transplant for spring. Although often growers transplant geranium in late autumn to update the soil. It's important to do it before it gets cold.

By and large, these are all the tricks of caring for geranium that a flower grower needs to know. Sticking to them, by spring you will get a plant ready to please you with flowering. Do you know any special ways to take care of this beautiful plant? We are always happy to learn something new.

Tags

See also

New and interesting