They suppress thinking, make us passive, kills creativity. "Do not read Soviet newspapers before dinner." The famous quotation from Bulgakov's "Heart of a Dog" is almost a hundred years. Well, except that just a little, so as not to fall completely from what is happening around us. Otherwise, we will not have any time to work, or to communicate or to work.
Do not consume news shows The Guardian. Here's why:
- News harmful to your health them gives rise to fear and aggression, prevents the realization of creativity and deprives the ability to think deeply. News - the same as that sugar to the body. They are easily digested. Media feed us small pieces of trivial facts that really do not concern us, and do not deserve attention. That is why we have never experienced saturation. Unlike reading books and long journal articles (on which it is necessary to think), we can swallow a huge amount of empty news.
- News does not matter of the 10,000 stories that you read in the last 12 months, call the one that allowed you to make the best decision in a serious fact, affect your life, your career or your business. The consumption of news has to do with you. In fact, the consumption of the news - is a competitive disadvantage. The less you consume the news, the greater your benefits.
- News toxic to your body
are constantly on the limbic system. Panic stories stimulate the formation of glucocorticoids (cortisol). This results in a mess of your immune system. Your body is in a state of chronic stress. Other possible side effects include fear, aggression and loss of sensation.
- News distort the real facts flow of news - the father of cognitive errors: thirst confirmation. We become overconfident, stupid risk and underestimate the possibilities. Our brain is hungry for stories that "make sense", even if they do not correspond to reality. Any journalist who writes that "the market exists because X» or «the company went bankrupt because of Y», - idiot. We are fed up with this cheap way to "explain" the world.
- News inhibit thinking requires concentration. The concentration requires continuous time. News specifically designed to interrupt you. They are similar to viruses that steal your attention for their own purposes. News reduce the amount of thinking people. News seriously affect the memory. Since the news disturbs concentrations, they weaken the understanding.
- News Work as a drug about any incident, we want to know and how it will end. Remembering the hundreds of stories in the news, we are less able to control this tendency. Scientists used to think that the tight connection of the 100 billion neurons in our heads was finally developed by the time we reach adulthood. Today we know that is not true. Nerve cells routinely break old connections and form new ones. The more news we consume, the more we train the neural circuits responsible for a superficial acquaintance and execution of multiple tasks and ignore those who are responsible for reading and focused thinking. Most consumers of news - even if they had been an avid reader of books - have lost the ability to read long articles or books. After four or five pages, they get tired, concentration disappears, there is a concern. This is not because they are older and have had many affairs. Just the physical structure of the brain has changed.
- news make us passive vast majority of the news talk about things for which you can not influence. The daily repetition of what we are powerless to make us passive. They grind us until we do not accept pessimistic, insensitive, sarcastic and fatalistic outlook. There is a term for this phenomenon - "learned helplessness».
- News kill creativity , what we already know, limits our creativity. This is one reason why mathematicians, writers, composers and entrepreneurs often produce their best creative works in his youth. Their brain enjoys wide uninhabited space that allows them to come up with and implement new ideas. I do not know of any truly creative person who has a passion for news - any writer or composer, mathematician, physician, scientist, musician, designer, architect or artist. On the other hand, I know a bunch of evil uncreative people who consume news as drugs. If you want to use old solutions, read the news. If you are looking for new solutions, it is not necessary to do so.
Original - The Guardian,
translation - Krestina Sikidina