Scientists have found that plankton produces 50% of all the oxygen on the planet

amphipods of the genus Fronima - one of the inhabitants of the ocean i>

Biologists and oceanographers опубликовали Results most ambitious and scrupulous study of miniature marine life in the entire history of science. Mission-long 3, 5 years took place on board Tara. During this time, researchers have been 140,000 kilometers and took 35,000 samples of plankton in 210 different places of the oceans. One of the interesting results of the study has been called the role of plankton in the planet's oxygen supply. article published in the journal Science.

During the journey they had to spend 10 days, clad in arctic ice, overcoming the storm in the Mediterranean Sea and the Strait of Magellan, and pass the Gulf of Aden under the protection of vessels of the French Navy, protect them from pirates. The main purpose of the study was to investigate the distribution of various species of organisms and their interaction with each other and the transmission of genetic information. It has been found and recorded about 40 million genes plankton previously unknown.

The route of the research vessel i>

By studying the various small flora and fauna (plankton includes microscopic plants and animals, fish eggs, bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms), scientists have determined that it is - not only the beginning of the food chain for larger animals.

Tara i>

"Plankton - is more than just food for whales - says Chris Bowler, research director at the French national center of scientific research. - Being tiny, these organisms - the most important part of life on Earth. They are the basis of the food chain, and in addition, provide a production of 50% oxygen by means of photosynthesis. " In addition, plankton absorbs carbon dioxide and converts it into organic carbon.

And then only in the network does not get i>

According to the researchers, in every sip of sea water contains about 200 million viruses, which are the main prey of 20 million bacteria that can be found there as well. More scientists are very interested in the fact that the diversity of plankton far more than previously estimated, and a variety of viruses when it was less than expected.

A variety of baby i>

It was found that the interaction of different types of plankton controls the water temperature, and at the meeting of two currents of different temperatures colonies of plankton do not mix with each other. It is also able to prove the previously hypothesized that viruses appear in a limited number of places ocean and then spread by ocean currents.

Catching plankton / Reuters i>

An understanding of the processes occurring in the world of plankton will, in particular, to clarify predictive models of climate change.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/250864/

Tags

See also

New and interesting