The main part of this collection - photographs Vandiverta William (William Vandivert, 1912-1989), which appeared as follows. In the summer of 1945, American and British troops entered their zone of Berlin, in exchange for the liberation of the territory of the Soviet zone, as agreed in Potsdam. Following the Western troops went "reconnaissance" and reporters of leading publications, including Vandivert. Berlin lay in ruins, and the order of the hard "cold war" has not prevailed and the border areas could cross freely rather than they use. That is why about half of July Vandiverta shots made in the Soviet occupation zone of Berlin - he delved into her one and a half kilometers. And of course, in his fall, and the lens of Soviet soldiers and officers, you will see it.
Valuable as these pictures are their detail and quality, as well as neutral - they carry a minimum load of propaganda, and just fix the state of the city. I was particularly delighted detailed pictures of murals Reichstag Soviet soldiers, as well as destruction of the old Reich Chancellery in the Wilhelmstrasse.
In general, let's look.
(Total 20 photos)
1. For the seed - a well-known picture of the Führer, made by April 20, 1945 th, where he presents the Iron Cross of the young boys of the Hitler Youth. He also belongs to "Life" - the magazine bought (or took the trophy, do not know) unique photo collection Hugo Jaeger and Heinrich Hoffmann. II - Hitler's official photographer. The picture was taken at the back wall of the Reich Chancellery, in my old, inside the garden.
2. This image - from Karlshorst, where there was a formal capitulation of the Wehrmacht to the Allies. It is the evening of 8 May, at the signing of the surrender room come Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel (with a rod, or in some other ceremonial object), Stumpf from the Luftwaffe and Admiral Friedeburg.
3. And now - before the end of the post - July will Vandiverta series. View of the Reichstag from the edge of the Tiergarten. The highway leads to the Brandenburg Gate, they were right and not visible. As you can see, mine clearance has already happened, appliances dumped on the edges of the road and walk on sidewalks civilians.
4. Now we come to the Reichstag itself. This, if I am not mistaken, one of its external colonnades.
5. There is a little bit bigger paintings, many well-read. Look, there are many cities - Kiev, Leningrad, Michurinsk, Kharkiv, Batumi, Moscow, etc., looking for his.
6. Inside the Reichstag, too, was painted almost to the ceiling - perhaps outside of the place was not enough, and the soldiers left autographs on the walls inside.
7. Brandenburg Gate 2 months after the end of fighting. They have been released from the rubble in the center of the span ogorodka organized patrol, and two on the right and two on the left are used for movement. The speed limit for travel - 5 km / h. It also shows that top equestrian group partially damaged and fell. The border zone is being held here in front of goal.
8. dilapidated Kroll Opera. It is seen as Berlinkov gather wood - wooden debris on makeshift cart. But that's why the wood in July, I did not understand.
9. Now, we are moving to the south of the gate, on the German-Geringshtrasse. Here's a snapshot of dilapidated American Embassy.
10. Before reaching the Potsdamer Platz, turn left on Fossshtrasse, pass it and go to the Old Reich Chancellery in the Wilhelmstrasse facade. As you can see, it is severely damaged, despite the fact that there were up to the end the Germans and cleared it at the moment of surrender of the garrison (May 1). What exactly is destroyed - air raids, large caliber artillery shelling or medium caliber? It seems to me - either the first or the second. Behind it immediately - the entrance to Hitler's bunker, 50-70 meters before him, if through the building.
11. The view of the garden of the Reich Chancellery - which also turned into a desert. However, rotunda-pergola - as we see - survived (but then its a total cleansing of the territory of the remnants of the New Reich Chancellery torn down in 1948). If you walk through the garden to the north, you can go exactly to the "Adlon" and the Brandenburg Gate. Login fyurerbunkere - almost a rule, we do not see in the photo.
12. Pronik Vandivert and fyurerbunkere, who was in the Soviet occupation zone. The photo Soviet soldier with Order of the Red Star and the Medal of him posing. The abstract says that this family room in the bunker Goebbels, Reich Propaganda lived here until May 1.
13. At the Reich Chancellery. Soviet soldiers drove a car to the stairs, and that some ship (perhaps - this same eagle). Lying broken parts, and they pose to the downed eagle with a swastika. In the background - a lot of broken equipment. The truck is a dandy in a civil suit.
14. In the Reich Chancellery garden, the background is visible terrace Diplomatic hall. There are already allies (Americans) are picked in the ground and looking at something. In this trench Kempka zhёg body Fuhrer and Eva Braun.
15. If you go even farther south, it is possible to look at the main building of the Gestapo. Then it will be blown up, and after 16 years here, in its place, will pass the wall. Now here the museum called "Topography of Terror».
16. Now leave the Wilhelmstrasse, the Ministry of Propaganda, surrounded by a powerful stone wall. This is also the Soviet occupation zone, the reporter then went to his own risk.
17. One of the entrances to the building of the Ministry.
18. And yet look, too, signed as "near the Ministry of Propaganda." And here on the street, all crumpled machinery dragged to the edge. However, I am confused by the building columns, visible in the background. What's that? You do not make a mistake if those who are in "Life" signed photo? Something I doubt ... (amendment 23/11: my doubts were not in vain. This is - a very different place, and in the background is Schauspielhaus on Gendarmenmarkt. Ie east).
19. State Opera on Unter den Linden, too, the Soviet zone of occupation. It is mainly intact, visible from the shells vyscherbiny.
20. However, the whole of Berlin was destroyed; Vandiverta have this kind of session and quite entire quarters of the city, which was more fortunate than the center.