Messerschmitt jet

The world's first mass-produced jet aircraft Messerschmitt Me.262 performs a demonstration flight at the 10th international aerospace exhibition ILA-2010 in Berlin Schönefeld.

The first flight with a jet engine Me.262 made July 18, 1942 Is the world's first jet aircraft, participated in the fighting.

2 Photo © REUTERS / Fabrizio Bensch via drugoi

"In early October 1944, we received an order in-Chief of the Luftwaffe Hermann Goering on the formation of the fighter aircraft of the forty Me.262. Her commander was appointed as one of the top German aces Walter Nowotny. Already October 4 first sortie of four fighters, with three of them in this mission were shot down over the airfield and landing.

During the fighting on modifications Me.262 fighter shot down 150 enemy aircraft at their own loss of about 100 cars. Such a pattern is due to the low level of preparation of the bulk of pilots, lack of reliability of engines JUMO 004 and their low survivability, as well as interruptions in the supply of fighter units against the general chaos in the losing Germany. "(Vicki)

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting