Photographs from National Geographic Contest 2011 (47 photos)

Best pictures from the contest NG in 2011. It's amazing.

1. Many people go to Uluru, but they see it depends on where they came from. (Robert Spanring)

2. The eruption of a volcano chain Cordon Kaulle in Chile. (Ricardo Mohr)

3. Arctic Beluga fun. (Dafna Ben Nun)

4. Tram in New Orleans travels to St. Charles Avenue. I held the camera at the window to radzedlit frame into two parts - both inside and outside the car. (Don Chamblee)

5. In this picture - almost 6 hours of climbing on Mount Reyner under the stars. Wind carries the smoke from Mount Hood 100 miles. This haze caused the red glow visible in the sky, and Reyner looks as if painted with oil on canvas. In the bottom right of the visible light of dawn. (Chris Morin)

6. Russian polar region of Western Siberia, Taz peninsula. Reindeer herding - one of the main activities of local residents. All land suitable for grazing are divided between families or teams farms. Deer graze freely, can be removed for several kilometers. Chief Shepherd sees a herd of binoculars. (Dmitriy Nikonov)

7. An adult male gelada rests, climbing on the rocks of the mountains Simien in Ethiopia. This male won the previous leader, and now must defend his harem, reflecting attack other candidates and taking care of the female. (Clay Wilton)

8. An unexpected side effect of the 2010 floods in Pakistan - millions of spiders escaping from the water to climb a tree. Because of the scale of the flood and its duration, many trees were completely covered with cobwebs. People living in the area, saw this for the first time, but also reported that the mosquito has become much smaller. The fact that people who have lost everything because of the floods mosquitoes do not bite - questionable, but at least some relief. (Russell Watkins)

9. Curious cormorants watch the start of the swim in La Jolla, California. Swimmers must cover a distance of 3 miles, swim from the shore of the bay to the breakwater Scripps and back. (Lee Sie)

10. This place means a lot to me. Fellenzee lake at the foot of the mountain Hundshtayn (dog stone). As I grew up and my dog ​​near the place where she died, I buried her in the lake and mountain dog became the huge tombstone on the grave of the dog. After the funeral we went up to the mountain after Spock (the name of the dog). This picture hangs in my kitchen in memory of Spock. (Nino Benninger)

11. Copenhagen, Twin Towers, a house by the river. I waited at the door for about two hours, in the hope that someone will come in or go out and let me in. Waiting paid off - in this building there is something unreal. (Elena Baroni)

12. Divers and the great white shark. (David Litchfield)

13. The shot out of a cannon during the reconstruction of the battle of the Civil War, held under the patronage of the organization Rotary Club of Moorpark. In the background - the smoke from the gun shots, illuminated by searchlights. (Robert Jensen)

14. White geese in flight. Klyaynfeltersvill, Pennsylvania. (Charles Funk)

15. Tornado demonstrated its terrible power in Meyplotone, Iowa, April 11, 2011. (Timothy Wright)

16. Yala National Park, Sri Lanka, famous for its leopards, but they are very easy to catch on camera. This is - one of the three young teenagers who started jumping between branches. Then I managed to make this shot. (Lalith Ekanayake)

17. A rare, endangered species - Australian sea lions (Neophoca cinerea) in shoals Hopkins Island, South Australia. (Michael Patrick O'Neill)

18. Portrait of my grandfather. He was a photographer, and he has a huge number of old cameras. Recently he was 95, and he still remembers how each of them. I took a picture of it on my Canon 7d lens Tamron 17-55mm. Lighting - two 1200W lamp. I hope you enjoy this photo as I like it. (Christopher Bellezza)

19. For the year in Death Valley falls about 4 inches of rain. But somehow, we for the first time in four years failed to witness a lightning storm at sunset. For me it's a reward for all your time and a great example of the best that can happen only with the photographer. When you get to the right place at the right time and just have to spoil the shot. (Jeff Engelhardt)

20. Japan, in spite of its modernity, adheres to the traditions that are passed down from generation to generation. This is what makes Japan one of the most beautiful and intriguing places on Earth. City of Kyoto Gion - one of the places that once in, you forget about the rest of Japan. Cobbled streets with little houses of traditional architecture. If you're lucky - and see the beautiful geisha, hurrying to the next meeting. Do not forget to bring your camera and keep it ready. (Clancy Lethbridge)

21. Hot Springs in Yellowstone National Park. (Danielle Goldstein)

22. Amazing microscopic pattern of icicles on the fence around the construction site. The photo was taken at the end of March 2011. (Sara Worsham)

23. After school - to play on the river. Laos. (Danny Griffin)

24. The male largemouth bears posterity in the mouth. (Steven Kovacs)

25. Winter in arid Canadian Rockies. The temperature was below -30 Fahrenheit, and due to the lack of snow surface of the lake was transparent, and can be visible bubbles frozen in the ice. (Emmanuel Coupe-Kalomiris)

26. Owl in flight. (Mark Bridger)

27. A local resident takes a mud bath next to the salt mines in Burgas, Bulgaria. Bathers smeared with mud, which then dries and wash off in the sea. After that - swimming in the salt water of the mine. (Antoni Georgiev)

28. One morning in Hawaii, I looked around in search of what could be photographed. And almost walked past it. Something made me pay attention to the palm leaf. I stopped and noticed a small gecko. Periodically, bobbing his head out of leaves to see if I did not go away. When he saw me he was hiding, but then popped out again. We played this game until I was able to photograph it. (Lorenzo Menendez)

29. The strangest market in the world, probably, is in Lome, Togo. Thousands of stuffed animals and the bodies of dead animals are sold for use in religious and medicinal purposes. It's wild and scary, but at the same time exciting. (Jorgen Tharaldsen)

30. My son Jack jump over the dunes. (Betina La Plante)

31.Kazhdy year in October in Dubai was a heavy fog due to the high humidity and decreasing temperature. High buildings in the city (including the tallest building in the world) and fog allow you to make great pictures. (Catalin Marin)

32. Portrait of a chimpanzee at the zoo in Jacksonville, Florida. (Graham McGeorge)

33. Raising the icy trail in the rain was rewarded at the top, I found a black bear on blue ice. (Colin McCrindle)

34. Nathan Fletcher and one of the biggest waves off the coast of Tahiti. (Ted Grambeau)

35. Pinky Kundu, 13-year-old girl suffering from a chronic disease, undergoing treatment at a hospital in Kolkata Mother Teresa. When I took a picture of her, she was in good spirits and hoping for a speedy return to their parents. (Saibal Gupta)

36. Rufous hummingbird resting on a branch of pine, boasting bright colors. (Cael Cook)

37. During the safari attention is drawn not only to animals. (Dmitry Gorilovskiy)

38. Women of the Himba of northern Namibia conduct daily rituals, turning his body with a mixture of ocher, oil and ash to protect themselves from ill-desert climate. In the morning, instead of a shower, they twine themselves incense burning herbs in pots. (Dominique Brand)

39. Lonely tree survive the winter in Yellowstone National Park. (Anita Erdmann)

40. Lynx (Lynx Canadensis) repels pesky midges ear, appearing on a summer evening in Alaska. (Jimmy Tohill)

41. The photo was taken at the top of Antelope Canyon near Page, Arizona. The effect is created by the sun lighting the crumbling sand blasting. (Angiolo Manetti)

42. The baby gray kangaroo pokes his head out of the bag on the body of the mother. Soon he begins to briefly leave the bag and then come back, and at the age of 7-10 months, leave the bag forever. (Brent Lukey)

43. The rays of the morning sun in the windows "of the Temple of Transition" at the festival Burning Man 2011. (Lars Tiemann)

44. The sun gives us energy, even under water. The picture was taken during free diving (breath-hold, without scuba gear) in the Red Sea. (Vaclav Krpelik)

45. The last few years I shot a female leopard with cubs, and spent long nights with them. It is no beacon, so when I found this family, I try to stay with them as long as possible. This evening ahead of the female hyena and took away her prey (gazelle), and sat on the edge of a cliff, with the rising moon in the background. (Hannes Lochner)

Tags

See also

New and interesting