When is Forgiveness Sunday in 2024 and how to ask for forgiveness on that day

Maslenitsa always ends on the warmest day of the week. On Sunday, it is customary to ask forgiveness from relatives, colleagues and friends. Forgiveness Sunday - 2024, date It's very close. What to do and what not to do on this day, will tell the editors "Site".

Forgiveness Sunday is one of the most celebrated celebrations in Christendom. It is after this holiday that Christians begin Great Lent and preparation for Easter. Due to the fact that the date of Easter is different every year, the celebration of Shrovetza always changes. The date of Forgiveness Sunday is changing. In 2024, Maslenitsa began on March 11. Forgiveness Sunday in 2024 will be March 17.

Forgiveness Sunday 2024: The date in March Forgiveness Sunday has very deep roots in history. In ancient times, Palestinian monks from the Lavra of St. Sava went on a journey to the Judean desert. There they spent the whole Great Lent in solitude and prayer. They returned to the Lavra only for Easter. It was then that the monks began to say goodbye to each other and ask forgiveness for their free and involuntary actions. None of them knew if he would return to his home after the trials of the desert.

On this day there is forgiveness in the temples. During the evening service, the priest first says a special prayer and addresses his parishioners with words of forgiveness. He apologizes to everyone on his knees. After that, the parishioners apologize to the priest and each other. Traditionally, it’s not enough to say goodbye and hear the same thing back. The answer should be, “God will forgive, and I will forgive.” God taught people to forgive all their weaknesses and mistakes.

On this day, the soul is cleansed from negativity, anger and resentment. It is very important to ask forgiveness from the heart, sincerely. With the sole purpose - to relieve your soul from the experience of hurting someone. After the rite of forgiveness, people went home and asked forgiveness from their family and neighbors. We invited friends to visit and enjoyed the most delicious dishes. It is very important on this day not to have bad thoughts in your head, not to wish harm to anyone, not to swear. This day is a preparation for the Great Lent, in which we purify not only our body, but also our soul.

Prayer March 17, 2024 If you do not have the opportunity to visit the church on this day and undergo the rite of forgiveness, you can do it at home. In solitude, light a candle and say a prayer that will ease the soul from sins.

In the hand of Thy great mercy, O my God, I give thee both my soul and my body. I give my words and my feelings, my works and my body and my soul. My faith and my dwelling, my entrance and my exit, my movement and the end of my life, my day and night, my soul and my body and my end. Take into your hands, O Most Merciful God, by the sins of the whole world, the irresistible Grace of me, a sinner. Receive and protect me from all evil and sin. Purify my iniquities, direct me to the right path, and always protect me from my iniquity and malice. Covering my weakness from demons, passions and evil men, enemies visible and invisible, your love of humanity will lead me to your abode by the way of salvation. Amen.

After Maslenitsa, the arrival of spring is already felt. All nature is preparing for a new cycle of life and procreation. And it is very symbolic that it is during this period that humanity asks forgiveness from each other and begins a new life cycle with a light heart and soul.

Tags

See also

New and interesting