11 paradoxes — Somerset Maugham of human oddities

William Somerset Maugham. English novelist, playwright, short-story writer. Connoisseur of the human soul and character, who knew how to Express them with a rare stylistic accuracy.

We have collected Maugham quotes about humor, suffering and indifference.

1. "People more than anything like to stick to another man a shortcut that will once and forever exempts them from having to think"

2. "It is not true that suffering ennobles the character, sometimes it manages to happiness, but suffering in most cases makes a person petty and vindictive"

3. "It's easy to be pleasant with those who you care about"

4. "There is nothing more painful than to love with all my heart and know that it is worthless"

5. "People love to make fun of what you don't understand"

6. "Nothing can be done, people are rarely satisfied with what they have, give them all new so new, and so on without end"

7. "I tend to expect from people rather bad than good. That's the price you have to pay for a sense of humor. Having a sense of humor, a delight in the vagaries of human nature; do not trust the noble declarations, always doskias unworthy motives, which are hidden behind them; the discrepancy between appearance and reality entertains you, and where you can't find it, tempted to create it. Sometimes close eyes to truth, goodness and beauty, because they give a little food feeling funny. Humorist will immediately take notice of the quack, but not always recognize the Saint"

8. "At first glance it is strange that his own misdeeds seem so much less reprehensible than others. This is probably due to the fact that we know all of the circumstances that caused them, so forgive yourself what you do not forgive others"

9. "There's nothing easier than to grin and bear other people's hardships"

10. "One time I was considered a good comedian, and all because I told people the truth. It seemed to them so wonderful that they thought I was joking"

11. "Some people can be fooled all the time, all can be fooled some time but all the time to fool all impossible"

Source: www.depo.ua/rus/life/somerset-moem-16122014000500

Tags

See also

New and interesting