White spots on Ceres finally "come into focus"

It looked spot on the pictures that were sent to probe many days ago. In the continuation of - a photo at the moment of maximum quality i>

More specifically, they can now be considered at a fairly high-quality images of the interplanetary probe Dawn. Astronomers Earth got a photo of the crater Occator with good resolution, and spots are now more visible than ever. However, still not very clear what they look like, but it is clear that this is not a palace Reptilians handiwork representatives of extraterrestrial civilizations. The image is composed of two images: photos of spots with fast shutter speeds, and photographs of the surface of Ceres with normal exposure.

Resolution images - 140 meters per pixel. Photos obtained during the phase of High Altitude Mapping Orbit (HAMO).

When you click the image to open in full size i>

Dawn reached Ceres March 6 of this year, and immediately began work on the subject. The total length of stay of the probe at Ceres will be about 16 months. At the same time during a rapprochement with the planetoid from spacecraft have problems - probe stops responding control center. Immediately after that, the computer Dawn went into safe mode, and after a while re-started.

By the way, a few weeks ago, NASA's experts on the basis of the photos sent by the probe Dawn, created "Video tour" of Ceres. The video shows the most remarkable places planetoid - for example, Crater Occator, at the bottom of which is the very white spots. I recall that not so long ago, scientists discovered in one of the photos the haze above the crater, which may indicate that the spot - it's way out of ice on the surface, but not the mineral salts.

Also crater Occator, which has already been mentioned above, there are deeper craters, for example, Dantu (120 km in diameter and 5 deep) and Ezinu (same size). The larger object is Urvara crater with a diameter of 160 km and a depth of 6 km. And in the center of the crater is a peak height of 3 kilometers.

The diameter of the Ceres is 940 km, and is the largest object in the asteroid belt, which lies between Mars and Jupiter. In fact, the size of Ceres, is about 40% the size of Pluto. Do you think what these education?
Out of mineral salts on the surface Water ice The Hidden Prince's Palace Galaxy I have a different opinion, I will unsubscribe in the comments Voted 754 people. Abstain 153 people. Only registered users can participate in the survey. Sign , please.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/262184/

Tags

See also

New and interesting