Scientists from the team «New Horizons» answer questions reddit (Part 1)

While the "New Horizons" Pluto is photographed in a mode of radio silence, the five members of the team took part in the AMA (Ask Me Anything) - sabreddite where anyone can ask them any question. Below - the translation of some questions and answers. Trade was very large, choose and transfer all question not offered, so the material is divided into several parts. The original can be found здесь.

to answer the questions:
Curt Niebur, NASA Program Scientist
Jillian Redfern, Senior Research Analyst, New Horizons Science Operations
Kelsi Singer, Post-Doc, New Horizons Science Team
Amanda Zangari, Post-Doc, New Horizons Science Team
Stuart Robbins, Research Scientist, New Horizons Science Team
I>

What are the programming languages ​​used to write software that is hosted on board the probe? B>
Assembler

What surprised you the most since the start of the mission? B>
We were a little surprised by the dark pole of Charon

Why did he surprise you? There is something unusual from the point of view of science, or you expect to find something like that in the solar system? B>
We thought that the surface of Charon more uniform.

1. What will happen with the "new horizons»?
2. What do we hope to learn about Pluto?
3. What information does the "New Horizons" sent to Earth?
4. How was your date, and what it is - to be part of the team? B>
1. Now the main task - to download the information. It will take approximately 16 months.
2. We hope to learn more not only about Pluto, but its five known satellites. Atmosphere, geology, composition and more.
3. "New Horizons" is 7 instruments: ALICE, LORRI, PEPSSI, RALPH, REX, SDC, SWAP, the information from them will come in addition to the pictures that you've already seen.
4. Today was a great day. We got together and started the countdown to the rapprochement. I can hardly imagine how we are going to worry about when the "New Horizons" will "call home».

I was born after the launch of "Voyager", and although I was aware of other missions (to Saturn, Mars), this - the first, which gave me a great sense of awe by how big the solar system and on our capacity to explore it. Thank you!
The question is: my first daughter born in September, do you think, what the mission would give her the same feeling of excitement? What can we expect in the next 15-20 years? B>
Great question! I remember holding his newborn son, when in the middle of the night came the first radar data from the probe "Cassini", exploring Titan. The next big mission, which can "grow" your daughter - the study of Europe. We'll find out whether inhabited Europe and its vast ocean. Show her start in the early 2020s, when it will be about 8 years - the first data will come when it has already become a teenager.

How true color images that we receive? This image looks incredible, but it's real color, or it was changed? B>
Yes, it's true colors.
We try to achieve maximum compliance with the image as the human eye would see it. We put images taken at different wavelengths and convert them into a picture you could see with your own eyes.

What are the images we see after the "call home»? B>
The first images will come a few hours later. This is what we call «C_LORRI_FULLFRAME». It will look like a photo of Pluto, which you saw in the morning, but this time it will be a picture of Charon.

Can "New Horizons" to discover new satellites of Pluto? B>
Yes, such a possibility the device is. We very carefully view photos, but so far have not found anything similar. After convergence device "look back" and this will be our best chance to detect weakly luminous objects - such as rings.

Can "New Horizons" Expand your camera to the Earth and to remove the new "pale blue dot»? B>
Unfortunately, the camera apparatus is very sensitive, and looking back we can see the sun, which will damage the instrument. Voyager could not do so because its tools have been fixed on the rotating platform, and engineers were able to orient the unit so that the plate of the receiving antenna is closed Sun.

If you could go back in time, what would you change in the design of "New Horizons»? B>
Added to the warp drive.

We will see detailed images of Pluto in the near future? B>
Charon - yes, Hydra - yes (Wednesday or Thursday). Nix - maybe Styx and Kerber - no.

How expensive would send a lander to the orbit of Pluto instead of what would fly past? B>
It would be impossible, given the level of technology and the required amount of fuel to run.

I heard that Pluto - it is dark and cold place, but it is possible to live on the sunny side? B>
There are about -220 degrees Celsius. The idea is so-so.

Upset Pluto, when you told him that he was demoted to dwarf planet? B>
Shhh, we do not say.

To be continued ... i>

Source: geektimes.ru/post/253578/

Tags

See also

New and interesting