Las Vegas is known worldwide as the capital of gambling, bright lights and great-scale show. However, so it was not always. In this post you will learn how to transport crossroads of Las Vegas became the capital of entertainment. Postcard Guide to Vegas late 50s.
Las Vegas came in the middle of the Mojave Desert after the land auction, which took place on 15 and 16 May 1905. While no one could have predicted the rapid development of the city over the next 100 years.
When the railroad planned Vegas, they gave a special neighborhood where you can enjoy a variety of vicious things: drink, rent prostitutes, gambling.
Club "Arizona" was the most popular destination for those who came in the 16th quarter of fun.
At first it was the usual ramshackle little house, and later the club became a monumental building with roulette and faro games.
"Arizona Club" was one of the first in Las Vegas gaming clubs to actively promote themselves.
1908. Legend of the Wild West Wyatt Earp posing with club owner Al James. In 1919, gambling was outlawed, but in the 16th quarter of the game went underground.
May 19, 1931 on the territory of the State of Nevada gambling was re-enabled. All fit the bill only 6 pages. Today's industry is regulated by the tens of thousands of pages of local and federal regulations.
Also in 1931, just 40 km from the Las Vegas began construction of the Hoover Dam, which was completed in 1936. The appearance of the lake (reservoir), Mead and commissioning of the most powerful hydroelectric power stations provided an opportunity for the effective development of the City in the surrounding rocky desert. Water and power supply for many years to have been removed.
Clubs in downtown on Fremont Street quickly became legal gambling halls. «Northern Club», owned by Mamie Stoker was first licensed gaming establishments Nevada, which had zhenschinea
«Boulder Club» offered blackjack, craps, roulette, Pharaoh Bingo and took bets on the various competitions.
Bingo has always been popular in Vegas, in the 1930s the game was often called Tango. "Keno" then it was more like bingo than today's analogue.
Hotel «Sal Sagev» on Fremont Street, originally called «Hotel Nevada», was launched back in 1906. Later it was extended due to additional rooms and a casino. Now it's called «Golden Gate» and is the oldest continuously operating hotel in the city.
Hotel «El Cortez», opened in 1942, was one of the main places in those days. It was significantly expanded (originally had 90 rooms), but in spite of this building now looks as in the 42nd.
World-famous neon signs. Club «Eldorado» was later bought by the legendary Benny Binion and renamed «Horseshoe». "Horseshoe" is now one of the most famous names in the gaming industry.
Casino «Golden Nugget» was opened in 1946 by the former head of the Los Angeles Police Guy McAfee. It was a tiny gambling hall, later turned into a luxury hotel-casinos.
Historically casinos in Las Vegas were only allowed in the city center on Fremont Street. Due to the rapid development of the industry after the Second World space to all comers to open a business there was not. This has forced some businesses to open their places of the administrative border of the city. Thus was born the famous Las Vegas Strip - about semikilometrovy plot Las Vegas, which is now the majority of the largest hotels and casinos in Las Vegas metropolitan area.
Hotel & Casino «El Rancho Vegas» is the first object of the Las Vegas Strip. In contrast to the gaming halls in the city center "Rancho" offers a wider range of services. So began to emerge casino-resorts. Currently located on the Strip are many such establishments that combine hotel, shopping mall, amusement park and so on. D.
Also widespread themed casino. «The Last Frontier» was a pioneer in this field. The theme of the Wild West was very popular and widely used. Visitors' Frontira "from the airport picked up on this horse-drawn carriage.
«The Flamingo» - one of the most legendary casino resorts in Las Vegas Strip. It was opened in late 1946. Billy Wilkerson became the visionary who started the construction of luxury multi-object.
Hotel & Casino «The Desert Inn», opened on 24 April 1950, it was actually a self-contained resort. There was a golf course with 18 holes, luxury accommodation. After a relaxing day by the pool followed night games at high rates. The place has become the undisputed leader Las Vegas Strip.
On the opening day «The Desert Inn» was packed to capacity.
Leaflet «Fabulous Las Vegas» Jack Cortez was the first magazine dedicated to the nightlife of Vegas. They advertised all the "miracles" of the city, who were to attract potential visitors.
This photo was taken in the autumn of 1954. Las Vegas Strip was then still not very impressive. One and two-storey buildings may not pass today's splendor boulevard. By the way, neon signs even then often used.
And do not say that they have recently, for example, splashing in the pool or playing a round of golf.
Casino «Moulin Rouge» was one of the first that departed from racial segregation and opened its doors completely to all visitors. At first it was very successful, but later closed because of financial problems. In 1961, other places Las Vegas Strip followed the example of "LL" and began to let everyone regardless of skin color.
In April 1955 opened with great fanfare hotel-casino «Riviera». At the time of discovery, he was the ninth entertainment complex on the Strip and the first high-rise (9 floors). «Riviera» - the only large entertainment complex on the Las Vegas Strip, which has no theme. All the other casino hotels have chosen to lure tourists any specific topic.
After the "Riviera", many other casinos began planning high-rise buildings. The slide shows the famous tower of the hotel-casino «Sands». Martin Stern has designed her junior.
PR-director of constantly trying to come up with some innovative "chips". Al Freeman - PR-director of «Sands» - proposed to place tables for blackjack, craps and roulette right into the pool.
In the evenings, many casinos are all kinds of celebrations. In the photo so-called «Copa Room» in «Sands», is allotted for these purposes.
Like many other casinos have «Sands» had its own dance troupe. «Copa Girls» were carried out on most at the show.
In 1958 he opened a resort casino «Stardust» 800 rooms. At that time it was the largest resort in the Strip. Neon signs were visible from afar, it is constantly evoked curiosity among potential clients. At one time, the institution began to pursue financial problems. Owners discharged from Paris burlesque and cabaret show «The Lido», which helped to keep the visitors.
The first half-naked Vegas shows «Lido de Paris» was the beginning of pen and Strass extravaganza.
Entertainment contributed to filling facilities at the weekend. To fill the hotel during the week, at the end of the 50s there have been conducted various conventions. The photo session of the National Automobile Dealers in «Sands».
Vegas is also famous for its weddings. At the end of the 50's Casino began offering customers special wedding ceremony. And celebrities did not hesitate to use them. In the photo the famous American entertainer, singer and film actor Sammy Davis, Jr. and his wife Lore. This wedding has helped to stimulate interest in this service from others.
Meanwhile, the places on Fremont Street tried not to fall behind in the development of the Las Vegas Strip. In 1956, it opened 15-storey hotel «Fremont».
In 1964, the casino-hotel «Mint» built in the neighborhood of a skyscraper.
Hotels «Mint» and «Fremont».