We present a selection of 10 different studies of the human brain the previous two years, which shed light on some dark areas in scientific knowledge.
1. The study of 2011, spent at Columbia University, found that people rely more on the Internet than on their own thinking. And that means that we all forget too many things over time.
2. In June 2012, the results of an extended nine-year study showed that participants who had diabetes and did not control their blood sugar, suffered from mental decline.
3. The most anterior region of the brain cortex lobnopolyarny helps predict the future based on past experience. It's not quite superpowers, but our brains are able to make short-term predictions and strategic thinking about the future, making the conclusion of the patterns of recent events.
4. The study of 2012 shows that people can train yourself to do more cautious bets while gambling. Scientists believe that, subject to further study it may help in the treatment of addictions and mental disorders impulsive.
5. Exercise not only helps the bones to be stronger and the heart -better cope with their work. Researchers from the University of Illinois found that memory - one of the key functions of the brain that deteriorates with age - can be improved through training on a treadmill just one hour three times a week. The exercises increase blood flow to the brain that can deliver greater critical oxygen and glucose. Brain scans also showed that the key areas responsible for decision-making, planning, and multitasking is also more activated when playing on the treadmill.
6. «Games for the brain" does not do any good for computing functions or capabilities of memorization. In a recently conducted study, 11 430 volunteers carried out a series of online tasks at least ten minutes a day, three times a week for six weeks. And although they have improved their abilities in these tasks, the researchers believe that it has not produced any growth in the shared memory and cognitive abilities.
7. If you want to improve the chances of your brain - listen to more music. Researchers at Stanford University have found that listening to music helps to better structure the chaos, to concentrate, to anticipate the results of various actions and refreshes the memory.
8. A recent study by the National Institutes of Health found that cell phone use for less than an hour faster in the area of the brain closest to the phone antenna. Although the verdict as to whether cell phones cause cancer, has not yet passed, many studies suggest that radiation phones associated with other disorders, for example - the problems with sleep.
9. has recently appeared Research report says that people who meditated for about 30 minutes a day for eight weeks, there were significant changes in brain areas associated with memory, sense of self, empathy, and stress.
10. amygdala and hippocampus (two parts of the brain associated with depression) are activated when we hear laughter, as well as the pleasure center, which plays a key role in all the pleasant sensations. Laughter reduces stress hormones and lower blood pressure, which in turn reduces the likelihood of heart attack and stroke. One study in 2012, scientists have also found that the level of oxytocin (also known as the "love hormone") is increased when the subject hears the laughter of a baby.