House Sherlock Holmes

My friend is looking for a place to live, and you complained that you can not find a companion, I have decided that you need to be reduced.
Sherlock Holmes obviously liked the prospect to share my apartment.
 - You know, I looked after a flat in Baker Street - he said - that you will approach us in every way. & Quot;

"The next day we met at the appointed hour, and went to see an apartment on Baker Street, No 221-B, which Holmes said the day before.

The apartment had two comfortable bedrooms and a spacious, bright and comfortably furnished living room with two large windows.

Rooms we had to taste, and the fee divided by two, was so small that we immediately agreed to the hiring and immediately took possession of the apartment. The same evening I moved my belongings out of the hotel, and the next morning Sherlock Holmes, arrived with several boxes and bag. A day or two, we were busy with unpacking and layout of our property, trying to find the best thing for each place, and then gradually began to settle in their home and adapt to new conditions. »

& quot; - That's right, - said Holmes, lighting a cigarette and stretching in a chair. - You see, but you do not see, and this is a big difference. For example, you often see the steps leading from the hall to this room?
- Frequently.
- How often?
- Well, a few hundred times!
- Well. How many steps there?
- How many? I do not pay any attention.
- That's right, we do not pay attention. And yet you have seen! That's the whole point. Well, I know what steps - seventeen because I saw and observed. & Quot;

"I have said that Holmes played the violin beautifully. However, there was something strange, as in all his classes. I knew that he could perform plays violin, and pretty hard not just at my request, he played "Song" by Mendelssohn and others my favorite things. But when he remained
One, it was rare to hear the play or anything at all like a melody. In the evenings, his violin on his knees, he leaned back in his chair, closed his eyes and casually drove a bow across the strings. Sometimes it sounded sonorous, melancholy chords. Another time, swept the sounds that could be heard frantic fun. »

"Besides, I have always believed that the firing of the gun, no doubt, applies to this kind of entertainment that you can do only in the open air. So when Holmes appeared to shoot and hunt, he sat down in a chair with a gun and cartridge belt, he started to decorate the opposite wall patriotic monogram "V. R. ", bringing it with bullets, I especially felt strongly that this activity does not improve nor the air, nor the appearance of our apartments.»

Arthur Conan Doyle. "The stories of Sherlock Holmes»

©

Tags

See also

New and interesting