Why the future of remote work (Part 2)

A little less than a year ago, I wrote the first part of this article, promising that the second will be devoted to the most common objections. Of course, if someone waited probably had already firmly forgotten during this time. Consoling himself with the thought that it is better still late than never, finally undertake to rectify the situation. So.

Objection №1: not any kind of activity can be performed remotely h4> begins with this objection, because it is the most reasonable. Indeed, the specificity of many activities is such that can not (at least at the current level of technology) to operate remotely. However, if we are talking about the IT-industry (and we still are in the IT-resources, so talking primarily about it), here the percentage of work that technically i> could be performed remotely, is very large. For example, this is all entirely web-based, mobile and a desktop application development.

Objection №2: not everyone can work remotely h4> This statement is partially true, but here it is necessary to distinguish between two different levels of the problem. The first is that, because of the nature of the individual characteristics of some people teamwork comfortable i>, while other more pleasant to work alone. Conventionally, we call these groups "extrovert" and "introvert", although the line of demarcation does not go exactly according to this feature. With this approach argue difficult, but let's not forget that "introverts" until recently, had to work in a team, and in general they are with this need to somehow get along. That is, it is about convenience, but no more.

However, if you are working remotely, it does not necessarily mean that you have to work at home. If you personally for comfortable working in a team, at your service centers coworking, which, I am convinced, over time, will become more and more. I foresee a question: what is the meaning of the work remotely coworking? Well, for example coworking center closer to your home than the office. Or are you working on a customer from another country / city that offers more favorable terms than what you can find locally.

The second level of the problem is that the remote work requires individuals to a specific discipline, and here we gradually come to the next step.

Objection №3: remote work reduces the effectiveness h4> At this point I would like to dwell in detail and consider it a key to understanding the prospects for remote work.

Here, here's the thing. Remote work requires specific skills and abilities to plan your time, but do work in an office from 9 to 7 you know from birth? This is a skill that you gradually vaccinated institutions of education and socialization (kindergarten - & gt; School - & gt; University), formed in its present form in the industrial era and specifically aimed at the formation of a factory worker / office / room type. And even though it's your first office work probably require you period of adaptation and adjustment.

From the remote operation of all is exactly the same way. Everyone is facing difficulties in the beginning, simply because all of his previous experience contrasts strongly with this type of work. But having worked for a year or two, it is possible to perfectly adapt to such a mode. Unfortunately, everyone has to do it individually, but such is the fate of all the pioneers. However, if the system of mass education taught how remote team interaction (and I'm sure that sooner or later it will happen), the problem was not just.

This applies to both the efficiency of direct performance and management efficiency. There is no objective i> the reasons why the remote control command is more complicated than manage a team working in the office. There is a lack of necessary skills and experience in management, brought up in the office paradigm.

Objection №4: impossible to work without the full experience of communication h4> From the point of view of efficiency (efficiency) of communication, the lack of direct contact does not impose almost no restrictions at the present level of development of network technologies. Moreover, in the universities right now studying the generation of people for whom social networking, online gaming and VoIP-messengers as well (and for someone more) familiar, like off-line communication. By the way I am convinced that for them, the problem of the preceding paragraph will be much less of an issue from the beginning.

The only real limitation networking concerns perhaps the emotional sphere. Yes, personal contact can achieve much greater degree of emotional involvement in the workflow, and no technology that is not likely to change (though I will not say never).

But how often such involvement really i> need? Brainstorming? Perhaps, but this situation is making key decisions; for the occasion may be driven off the team (or the part of the team) and specifically from different cities. Deadline? Well, it is better not to bring, and not the fact that emotional involvement plays here a plus. Activities to strengthen team spirit (aka corporate)? Spend time in a year can be even in different countries (as do 37 Signals, which are now Basecamp), and if the whole team is in one country can and often; besides, not everyone likes corporate parties.

Objection №5: for a small team and will approach it can, but certainly not for a large firm h4> Actually, this statement on anything not based (including practical experience), but as I hear it periodically , left unattended can not. I personally know a large firm (a few thousand people, 20 years on the market) starts in full office format, but now quite loyal to employees, most of the time working at home. Not to mention examples such as IBM, 40% of the staff is now working remotely .

It is clear that the operation of a large organization can hardly be based only i> on the remote operation (ie, an example you can think of, but it is unlikely he will be vital). But here we gradually come to the most recent objection.

Objection №6: me (as an employee, employer, manager) and so happy with everything, why do I do this? H4> Great! Well, there are people in the world who are all in their life happy. Or does not it? Similarly, there are no days in your life when you do not want to stick his nose out of the house? Or hire a project wonderful spices in their field, living in three time zones away from you? Or reduce office costs by 30% in the next crisis?

Remote work - a tool that, like any other, can be used effectively or ineffectively. When I say that in the remote future work, it just means that it takes place in the modern world, much of its potential inappropriate, and in the future this place will noticeably change. No one argues that the offices more irrelevant or you have an urgent need to translate all the staff at the remote mode. But as to whether there are reasons why you can not allow employees to work at the office 3 days a week instead of 5 (many say thank you, seriously)? Or hire the very professional from another time zone? Or immediately start looking for a job, promising three times more revenue than what you can find in your city?

Source: habrahabr.ru/company/sourcetalk/blog/242203/

Tags

See also

New and interesting