She returned from Africa found that in her stomach that something moves

28-year-old Briton Katherine Stewart, visited the Gambia in order to better understand how the charity in which she worked in the UK, helping people in the West African country.

She was alarmed when returning to the UK to found his body a few bites, one of them after a while began to turn yellow.

As it turned out, she was infected with the larvae of flies cabinet - a large blood-sucking insects, widespread in Africa.

"When I was in the Gambia, I noticed in his body several red circles that looked like bites, but when I returned home, I found that the more of them. Seeing that one of the bites on my stomach turned yellow, I thought it was just a wound festered, and decided to squeeze it, "- says Katherine.

Clutching the skin around the wound, Catherine felt under her skin something move. Then she realized that something was wrong. She immediately called her husband Paul and asked him to help her.

Paul insisted that Katherine went to the doctor, but before that the couple took out six larvae. She visited the Department of Tropical Medicine at Queen's University of Liverpool, which is a world leader in the treatment of a mysterious illness.

Lessons larvae wife piled into a bottle and handed over for analysis to Dr. Helen Winslow. As shown by examination, the larvae were postponed carnivorous fly cabinet. Females of these flies lay their eggs on wet clothes or towels, and if a damp cloth is in contact with human skin, the eggs penetrate the skin.

For Catherine the process of removing the larvae took only 15 minutes. That's how much it took Dr. Winslow to remove eight larvae from the girl's body. Thus, a total of 14, Catherine was recovered larvae.

Tags

See also

New and interesting