Letter to Charlie Chaplin's daughter.

Charlie Chaplin, the father of 12 children, in 1965, being the wiser old man, 76 years old, wrote a letter to his daughter Geraldine twenty-one who seeks himself in the dance at the Paris scene. Letter emotional, deeply personal, but at the same time suitable for each of us.

This is an example of his father's love and concern, sadness and joy, pride and experience, accumulated wisdom and preserved in its childhood. "I've never been an angel," said the genius of cinema, "but I always wanted to be a man. Try and you ».

Read this letter and think about what your parents taught you, and what you want to teach your children.

"My girl!

It's night. Christmas night. All the armed men went to sleep my little fortress. Sleep your brother, your sister. Even your mother was asleep. I almost woke chicks asleep, getting to this half-lit room. How far are you from me! But let me go blind if your image is not always in front of my eyes. Your portrait - here on the table, and here, near my heart. Where are you? There, in a fabulous Paris, dancing in the grand theatrical stage on the Champs Elysees. I know this, and yet it seems to me that in the silence of the night I hear your footsteps, see your eyes that shine like stars in the winter sky.

I hear that you play in this festive and light play the role of the Persian beauties captive Tatar khan. Whether beauty and dance! Be a star and shine on! But if the enthusiasm and appreciation of the public you are intoxicated, if the scent of flowers presented to swallow your head, then sit in my little corner and read email, listen to the voice of your heart. I'm your father, Geraldine! I'm Charlie, Charlie Chaplin! Do you know how many nights I sat by your bedside when you was a baby, telling you a fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty, a waking dragon? And when my dream to wax dim old eyes, I taunted him and said: "Go away! My dream - a dream of my daughter! »

I have seen your dreams, Geraldine, see your future, your date. I saw a girl dancing on the stage, fairy, moving across the sky. Heard the public say, "See that girl? She is the daughter of an old fool. Remember, his name was Charlie? "Yes, I'm Charlie! I'm an old fool! It's your turn. Dance! I danced on a large ragged pants, and you dance in a silk dress princess. These dances and applause at times will exalt thee to heaven. Fly! Fly there! But get down on the ground! You should see people's lives, the lives of the street dancers who dance, shivering with cold and hunger. I was like them, Geraldine. On those nights, in those magical nights when you fall asleep, lulled by my stories, I was awake.

I looked at your face, listening to beats of your heart and ask yourself, "Charlie, do this kitten ever know you?" You do not know me, Geraldine. I have a lot of stories told to you in those early night, but his tale - never. And she, too, is interesting. This is a tale about a hungry fool who sang and danced in the slums of London, and then collecting alms. Here it is, my story! I knew what hunger is that this will not have a roof over your head. More than that, I experienced a humiliating pain wanderer-jester in his chest was raging an ocean of pride, and this pride was wounded painfully thrown coins. And yet I am alive, so let's leave it.

It is better to talk about you. After your name - Geraldine - should my name - Chaplin. With that name for more than forty years I have amused the people on the ground. But I cried more than they were laughing. Geraldine, in a world in which you live, there is not nothing but dancing and music! At midnight, when you come out of the great hall, you can forget the rich fans, but do not forget to ask the taxi driver that will take you home, his wife. And if she is pregnant, if they do not have money for diapers for the unborn child, put the money in his pocket. I ordered the bank to pay these are your expenses. But all other pay strictly on the account. Ezdi from time to time in the subway or bus, walk and explore the city on foot.

Keep an eye to the people! Look for widows and orphans! And at least once a day, say to yourself: "I am the same as they are." Yeah, you're one of them, a girl! Moreover. Art, before you give a man wings so he could fly up, usually breaks his leg. And if the day will come when you will feel above the audience immediately rush the stage. At the first taxi travel to the vicinity of Paris. I know them very well! There you will see a lot of dancers like you even more beautiful, graceful, with greater pride. The dazzling limelight of your theater will not be there at all. Searchlight for them - the Moon.

Let us look good; look! If they do not dance better than you? Admit it, my girl! There's always one who dances better than you, who play better than you! And remember, the family Charlie had such a boor, who swore to the cab or mocked the poor, sitting on the banks of the Seine. I'm going to die, but you will live. I wish you had never known poverty. With this letter I am sending you a check book, so you could spend as much as you wish. But when Istrate two francs, do not forget to remind yourself that the third coin - not yours. It must belong to a stranger who needed it. And this you can easily find. One has only to want to see these poor strangers, and you meet them everywhere. I speak to you about the money, because they knew the devil's power. I spent a lot of time in the circus. And always very worried about tightrope walkers.

But I must tell you that most people fall on hard ground than the rope-a precarious rope. Perhaps one of the evenings of dinner you bedazzle any diamond. At the same time it will be dangerous for you rope, and inevitably fall for you. Maybe one day you will captivate the beautiful face of a prince. On the same day, you will be inexperienced tightrope walker, but the simple drop ever. Do not sell your heart of gold and jewels. Know that most huge diamond - the sun. Fortunately, it shines for everyone. And when the time comes and you fall in love, you love this man with all my heart. I told your mother that she wrote to you about it. She understands me more in love, and her very best to talk to you about it. The work you hard, I know.

Your body is covered with a piece of silk. For the sake of art can appear on stage and bare, but it is necessary to go back there, not only dressed, but also cleaner. I am old, and maybe my words sound funny. But, in my opinion, your naked body should belong to those who love your naked soul. Do not be afraid if your opinion on this issue ten years ago, that is owned by the departing time. Do not worry, these ten years you grow old. But be that as it may, I want you to be the last man of the people who will be the subjects of the island bare. I know that the fathers and the children are between a perpetual fight. Voyuy with me, with my thoughts, my girl! I do not like obedient children. And as long as my eyes are not tears flowed as of this writing, I want to believe that today's Christmas night - the night of miracles.

I wish that there was a miracle, and all you really understood what I wanted to tell you. Charlie has already grown old, Geraldine. Sooner or later, instead of a white dress for the stage you have to go into mourning, to come to my grave. Now I do not want to upset you. Just cast a glance in the mirror - there you will see my features. In your veins my blood. Even when the blood in my veins cool, I wish you had not forgotten his father, Charlie. I was not an angel, but always wanted to be a man. Try and you.

I kiss you, Geraldine. Your Charlie. December 1965 "
  • knowledge, the golden age of America