"Gastronomy the final." Written 100 years ago, but like yesterday!

"Gastronomic finale"

Just awesome! This short story by A. Kuprin was written in 1908. Read and you too will be surprised!

Aleksandr Ivanovich Kuprin

"I remember five years ago I had with the writers Bunin and Fedorov arrive one day at Imatra. We walked back late at night. About eleven o'clock the train stopped at the station antrea, and we went out to eat.

The long table was Laden with hot dishes and cold snacks. There was fresh salmon, grilled trout, cold roast beef, some poultry, small, delicious burgers and the like. It was all extremely clean, appetizing and elegant. And then at the edges of the table slides rose small plates, lay a pile of knives and forks, and there were baskets of bread.

Everybody came over, chose what he liked, ate as he wanted, then approached the buffet and of their own free will you paid for a dinner for one brand (thirty seven cents). No oversight, no distrust. Our Russian hearts so deeply accustomed to the passport section, forced the care of older janitor to General fraud and suspicion, were completely suppressed by this broad mutual faith.

But when we returned to the car, we are expecting a pretty picture in a truly Russian genre. The fact that we were traveling with two contractors for stone work.

Everyone is familiar with this type of a fist of Meshchovsk district of the Kaluga province: broad, glossy, bony, red face, red hair, curly from under the cap, sparse beard, roguish glance, the devotion to the fifteen kopecks, hot patriotism and contempt for all non-Russian — in a word, familiar true Russian face. I should have listened as they mocked the poor Finns.

— Here fools as fools. It sort of doodles, hell knows! Why, I, if the count to three rubles for seven hryvnia ate them, the scoundrels... Oh, you bastard! Not only beat them, sons of bitches! One word: Finn.
And another picked up, choking with laughter:

— I'm purposely a glass of iced, and then took the fish and spit.

— And so they should, the bastards! Dismissed the anathemas! They need to keep both" published

Author: Alexander Kuprin, 1908

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: izbrannoe.com/news/mysli/gastronomicheskiy-final/

Tags

See also

New and interesting