Laws of the night: how to sleep in order to live productively

Sleep is the most important thing in lifeSo says Joel Sandberg, an ophthalmologist from University of Miami and father of the Executive Director of Facebook Sheryl Sandberg. He wrote this note on the Huffington Post, which suddenly boomed.

I'm an ophthalmologist, not an expert on sleep, but sleep has always been very important to me, and I am on this subject a lot of thought. Sleep is a wonderful drug to help them feel great. Lack of sleep leads to the development of chronic diseases — diabetes, diseases of the cardiovascular system, obesity and depression. Fatigue from lack of sleep compared to the state of intoxication.

It is normal that parents teach children to sleep mode. But it is equally important to accustom to it myself. Almost all ophthalmic surgeons that I know, extremely focused (obsessed) on getting a good night's sleep the night before surgery. They are simply crucial to sleep without any distractions.

My own experience:

As a child I shared a room with my brother, who was four years older than me. From this I have learned very well to sleep. I went before, he came home late. I was asleep and he turned on the light and did homework. I learned to sleep so that I would not be disturbed. During my University years I lived in full of rowdy Dorm, the room I had two neighbors. In the summer I worked in the hotel and slept in the noisy barracks, where stood the bed 11 of the waiters.

But I have always had one goal: eight hours of sleep every night. In College, while my classmates partied at night, I always went to bed eight hours before I had to get up, especially before exams. The same was then in medical Academy. Internship has become a great challenge for me. I was often woken up in the middle of the night. But I have found a new way to sleep for eight hours. Before you watch, I went to bed at eight in the evening in a hospital room, and I managed to sleep for a few hours. And then, after working with patients, I often brought the total sleep duration to eight hours.

I now always try to sleep eight hours. Although many experts recommend sticking to the same schedule, I have to go to sleep early when the next day to have a surgery. On weekends I get up at the same time on weekdays, and do exercises that helps me stay on schedule.

Stick to the plan and to turn off the TV, stop reading mail or a book when I need to go to bed early is a challenge. I have to avoid procrastination and to turn off the lights for eight hours before the alarm goes off.

After a long day in the office, I often allocate 10-20 minutes to daydream. In those days when I need to go to sleep early, I miss this NAP, so it wasn't hard to fall asleep at night.

When I go somewhere, I try to sleep is additionally another third of the time, which lengthens my day due to different time zone. For example, if I'm driving from the East coast to California, my day becomes longer by three hours, so I sleep another hour in the plane or before you travel.

Exercise helps me cope with the fatigue of such visits. Morning aerobics — Jogging or swimming — the best way to start the day. It removes tiredness and brings a good mood.

Sleep should be a priority — along with exercise and proper nutrition. Lack of sleep leads to the fact that people endlessly chew something (and often something wrong, like carbohydrates and refined sugar), if only to replenish energy reserves. Lack of sleep interferes with the exercise regularly — I want to sleep and not to go for a morning jog.

When people sleep well, they work more efficient and productive, less error prone, more pleasant, happier and even live longer. published

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: ideanomics.ru/?p=4859

Tags

See also

New and interesting