The problem of genius: why be smart is bad for business

Intellect prevent successful conduct of the case and why entrepreneurial education is bad for business, says management guru Ichak Adizes.

When my career in consulting began, I was constantly impressed by those people who were considered geniuses. These men and women fantastic scientists or students, who studied only five. Or are extremely creative people who put forward innovative ideas. Or is it the people of sophisticated intelligence, able to win in almost any dispute.

I thought that their talents, intelligence, creativity is a gold mine. I started investing in them the money. I believed that adding my consulting experience and money and their genius, we will achieve a great breakthrough. It was the opposite. I lost a lot of money and a lot of time. What went wrong? Then, when I compared these geniuses and successful entrepreneurs that I have encountered in my consulting practice, I realized that those who really could make a lot of money was not so knowledgeable people.

These successful entrepreneurs are not so clearly expressed his thoughts. Not so educated. Some even really bad in school or University. There is a joke: honors work on b people, who buy the Trinity.

Why? This is illogical. Why are these less educated people become successful businessmen, and the "geniuses" fail completely? My conclusion: when you know too much, it prevents you from seeing the point.

Entrepreneurs are extraordinary people. But they are not geniuses in the sense of education. They stand out due to its common sense. They have a talent to notice something critical. Educated and talented geniuses tend to complicate things. They know so much that they often can't discern what is really important, what matters. Or they are geniuses in their field, but they have no business orientation, ability to understand and assess the balance of costs and values. I discovered that the "geniuses" ignore the costs and focus only on value.

And that brings me to the controversial conclusion that the study of entrepreneurship CAN damage your ability to become an entrepreneur. This is not necessarily so. But often it turns out. When you know too much, it undermines your ability to take risks. And they are extremely important and necessary for the entrepreneur. What is most important: to start a new business, you have to be fearless and this feeling occurs when you have not too much knowledge. If you think too much or know too much about what are going to do, you probably won't take it.

These entrepreneurs drop out of school or are enrolled at the three. If you have a very talented son or daughter who are great painters who have incredible talent, never send them to art school. There will destroy their talent. They will learn how right and how wrong — to such an extent that they will begin to draw what the school think is right, not what prompts his talent.

Once I got the dog, the Doberman Pinscher, and I bought a book called "Training a Doberman". The first page surprised me. It said: "do Not train a dog to attack". I began to read further to understand why.

Let's say you trained the dog to attack the man who raises his hand threatening way. As soon as you would go to visit the Italian — and they love to gesticulate while talking — dog to attack him. Why? Because you don't get the dog to use her built-in intuition. You reprogrammed it. The same thing can happen to an artist.

School interferes with his intuitive talent, and now the student draws what he thinks is right, "the establishment", he provides something conventional, but could create something exceptional.

And I'm sure the same happens with entrepreneurs. When they know too much, it resubida them to take risks. People with entrepreneurial talents know little, but intuitively feel what is right and what is not. They have no fear, because there is too much knowledge. But on the other hand, that helps them start a business, causing their subsequent failure.

Lack of knowledge, lack of a systemic view on enterprise could eventually lead to bankruptcy.

They make decisions on the go and a lack of fear leads to excessively risky behavior. They have everything to lose. They can start their own business but can't manage it. To control requires a more sophisticated, educated leader. Such a person is not able to open a business, but it can be extremely effectively manage the business. An entrepreneur can start a business, but often poorly manages them. These are the thoughts.published

Author: Ichak Adizes

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Source: ideanomics.ru/?p=4303

Tags

See also

New and interesting