Excellent article about the benefits of vegetable protein

Rich Roll - one of the most enduring and physically trained people on the planet. Rich, like many in his youth, had problems with strong drink and drugs, and at age 31 went to a rehabilitation center. He then gained weight by 25 kilograms. On the eve of the 40th anniversary of when he could not safely climb stairs, Rich realized that in the near future, it is waiting for a heart attack, if you seriously do not change a way of life. Since this all started.

Now Rich - supervynoslivy world renowned athlete, a passionate advocate of vegetable diet, husband and father of four children, a source of inspiration and an example of courage for people around the world. He is one of two players who managed to fully pass on the Ironman triathlon competition in five Hawaii for a week.
Here is what he says about nutrition in an interview:

I - vegan- syroed- me now 47 years old and I have for many years do not eat animal products. And I supervynosilivy athlete. That is, I do not run fast, but I can run very long. The conventional wisdom is that a vegan simply can not be an athlete - and vice versa. And I want to say that this is nonsense.
"But how do you get protein?»

Not a day goes by that I have not asked this question. If I had a dollar at least, each time answering it, everyone in my family has traveled to the wheel Tesla.

We live in a society in which people deliberately mislead and cause to believe that meat and dairy products are the only valuable source of dietary protein. Without a sufficient amount of animal protein is not possible to be healthy, not to mention the fact, to play sports. Protein, protein, protein - the more, the better

. Regardless of whether you are a professional athlete or permanently lying on the couch, this principle is so deeply ingrained in our collective belief system that challenge his legitimacy - is not nothing but a bear heresy

. But after his first-hand experience, I came to the conclusion that the common approach - at best misleading, if not outright lies ... Lies, which feeds the well-financed disinformation campaign, due to the interests of the wealthy producers from the agricultural sector. Representatives of the livestock industry are spending a lot of money on advertising designed to convince the public, if it is absolutely necessary these products to continue to breathe the air.

The myth of animal protein is not only based on a lie, he kills us, enticing feast on food from factories and farms, filled with hormones and pesticides is low in fat and very high in saturated fat. I still believe (despite the current populist fervor about a diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates) that this diet does contribute to the epidemic of cardiovascular disease - the killer №1 in the world - and many other ailments that lead to the fact that our prosperous nation - one of the most painful in the world

. Proteins consist of twenty different amino acids, eleven of which can be synthesized by the body. The other nine - those that we call essential amino acids - must be ingested from food. Technically, our body requires certain amino acids, the protein is not as such. The nine essential amino acids are almost the exclusive domain of the animal kingdom.

In fact, they were originally synthesized by plants and found in meat and dairy products because animals eat these plants.
The best representatives of medical science say that casein and whey protein contribute materially to degenerative diseases. Casein - protein contained in milk, - lead to the development of various diseases, including cancer. A serum is nothing more than a highly processed low-grade waste in the production of cheese - another devilishly ingenious invention of the dairy industry, will enable businesses to create billions of material that previously was discarded in the trash

. On a personal example, I can say that after eight years ago, I went to the vegetable way of life, I was able to fully restore health and help your body is no longer young feel in a new sport. As hard, perhaps some will believe that my sporting achievements occurred not despite dietary changes, but rather as a direct result of a new way of eating and living.
I'm not alone in this belief.

For example, watch the video about the athlete Patrick Beybumayna, who broke the world record for weightlifting, having won more than £ 1,200 - the approximate weight of the car - in Toronto last year
. Or about the double world champion, runner and tracer Timothy Schiff, jumping across rooftops like a video game character.

And you will be surprised, seeing a video about the athlete Frank Medrano - a miracle of nature, which adheres to the vegetable diet. He does things that you previously hardly thought possible. Then MMA / UFC fighters such as Mac Danzig, Jake Shields and James Wilks.

Or multisportsmeny Brendan Brazier, Rip Esselstin and Ben Bostrom - the world famous motorcyclists, cyclists, winners and participants of the race across America this year

. Professional triathlete and world champion Ultraman Hillary Biscay, who at 36 just swept the race Ironman.
Discover the extraordinary marathon runner Scott Jurek, his fruitarian mentor Michael Arnstein, and my old friend Jason Lester, with whom I finished the Ironman triathlon on five Hawaiian Islands. Jason crossed the United States on foot, and is currently preparing for the 100-day transition through China.

There are, of course, Timothy Bradley Jr., who last year won the boxing match of Manny Pacquiao.
Here's the thing. Each of these athletes, like many others, will tell you the same thing: instead of steak, milk, eggs and whey protein sources to choose such as chia seeds, almonds, hemp seeds, spirulina, and quinoa. Even those not too rich in protein foods like bananas, will give you much of what you need.

If you do not eat anything but a variety of fresh fruits, you still do not suffer protein deficiency (or even any particular amino acid). Despite the extremely high loads to which I subjected my body, this type of food for many years have never caused me problems with the formation of muscle mass. In fact, I believe that a plant-based diet significantly improves the ability of the body to the physiological recovery between workouts. I can honestly say that now, at age 47, I was healthier than ever, even than when I was a world class swimmer at Stanford in the late 1980s.

And despite all that, you can tell me, I am convinced that more protein - does not mean better. Satisfy your needs - and to this stop. As for the athletes, as far as I know, no scientific study has never shown that protein intake beyond the minimum required (10% of daily calories) stimulate additional muscle growth or faster physiological recovery after physical exertion. And yet most people - with those who lead a predominantly sedentary lifestyle - tend to consume three times more protein than the body needs

. This overreliance protein is not only useful, but also harmful. Moreover, there is evidence that excess protein is often stored in fat cells, which contributes to the emergence of a variety of diseases, such as osteoporosis, cancer, renal failure and cardiovascular disease.

Still not convinced? Consider this: Some of the biggest and strongest animals in the world - elephants, rhinos, hippos and gorillas - are herbivores. And no one asks them where they get the protein.

Tags

See also

New and interesting