Steeper this Petchuvana only Sornsrivichay

Sutton Petchuvan - the second number of the Asian advertising (right after Sornsrivichaya) - does not like to tell long stories. It can fit in Hollywood history 30 sekundah.V Unlike most other producers, the Thai master Sutton Petchuvan (Suthon Petchsuwan) not a fan of long and lengthy discussions on the subject of his work. Briefly, clearly, in the case, he fired off a lightning-fast answers to all the questions of the journalists. "I do not like long stories - it is justified. - Therefore, my short stories ».

Petchuvan began his career in the advertising industry in 1983, immediately after graduating from the Faculty of Art and Design Bangkok Universtiteta. The agency Kenyon & Eckhardt, he started from a position of trainee and rose to a copywriter. But climbing the career ladder in this command was interrupted: the budding shot three years later lured in SSC & B Lintas to the position of creative director, where he "otpahal" 6 years. When he tired of management activities, which are less and less has been associated with creativity, Sutton changed direction and signed with kontrat Matching Studio.

International director Petchuvan gained importance in the late 90s. But in the annual report of Mr. Gunn, Sutton appeared only in 2004: thanks to the rollers «Worms» for Oishi Green Tea and «Kill Bill Kill Bill» for dvd-players Soken he became the most awarded director. A year later, in 2005, the company took TWC Film "sell" it to the United States, and now a division of the same "office» - TWC @ Wanted Films - is Petchuvana and Europe.

Today, the Thai director can be caught somewhere in the sky between Los Angeles and some Asian capitals. Its main achievements of the past year, the advertising - roller Shera Flexy Board «Shakespearean Geckos», for which the team collected Publicis Thailand, won a prize at Cannes, and abnormally funny spots «Queen of Hearts» and «Firefly», created for Careerbuilder.com for broadcasts during the Super Bowl. Both campaigns imbued with the spirit of post-modernism, which blows the hell out of traditional, boring and annoying forms of presentation of advertising messages to the heart to amuse people.

Sutton Petchuvan admits that last year 30% of the work he has done for the United States, and 70 - for the various Asian markets. Such an alignment, in his opinion, shows good prospects for further development in the international arena. The director hopes that this year he will be able to be more selective in choosing projects in Thailand. Their aspirations Sutton ties with the institution's own studio Mum Films.

"Thai style, is the manner in which we create advertising, it's still mostly my own personal style. I am a director who is not afraid to simplify things to the point of absurdity. Judges on the international advertising festivals are watching our Thai rolls and understand that such they have not seen. If the same story will be told in the United States with the characters in the spirit of "toupee, Dumber," they will not get the same resonance. Take for example the movie, which sees the Thai ghost running away from him and hides in the urn. That's what Americans seem ridiculous. And foreigners note that this is largely something special, weird than funny ».

"The Spot" Shakespearean Gecko "after the death of a lizard, the other wants to follow a favorite to the light - to jump to the ceiling and fell to his death. And the guy at the bottom tearfully begs her not to do so as if talking to a man. It is a new adaptation of Shakespeare's, is not it?

Or another typical movie where the hero Godfather, who always appeared as a luxury limousine to suddenly appear in a terrible truck. And instead chinnoy out of the car, he jumps out of her like a warrior kung fu, endowed with superhuman strength. This postmodern style - not a feature of Thai advertising, this is my typical approach ».

"Again and again I find these jokes in a variety of scenarios. I will go to creative director in the agency, and I will defend their point of view, if I am sure that we will be able to present something new and fresh. In Thailand, I tend to be easier to make changes to the original idea, inherent creative team, because there is more confidence in the director's vision. In the US, it may be harder. They do not perceive my thoughts in full.

In general, it works in the United States more exhausting. Instead of a single clip, you have to do two: the director's version and a version for translation. And all because the agency does not want to plunge into the idea of ​​unconditional. In Thailand, everything is simple - there are no "director's cut", because on TV and show it. We have not considered something shameful or any unusual for the customer or for the agency to accept the advice of director.

I perfectly understand the concept of all aspects of the rules of the game "in advertising." I immediately clear, you can put this script in 30 seconds, or you can not. Sometimes my head also visit various "brilliant idea", but I look at things realistically and realize that we should be brief and to have time to tell all in half a minute. I love the commercials, because here every 2-3 weeks you will realize a new idea. I created for her, it's my feature - to be brief. Even telling something to a friend, as a rule, do not pass the long, intricacies of the plot. I brief.

I will not take long for the script, even if it is a good idea to set out. But when it comes to cinema, I would love to make a movie, work on which can be completed in one week. Such is my character. So if you have planned a lot of room for my interview, you have to increase font ... I do not say much. I'd really like you to do so - readers will better understand my essence.

via www.mumfilms.com/

Tags

See also

New and interesting