"Ice Man": "Ice Man": the last ice earner in Ecuador

Real men worked while all humanity loss for the ice in the freezer, the world still have a person who climbs into the mountains, and produces it there. Meet - Balthazar abalone, the last of the remaining hielero Ecuador (Ice man).

Abalone - the last survivor of his continuer of the family transmitted through the centuries from father to son. At least once a week, 68-year-old Balthasar climb the highest peak in Ecuador - Chimborazo, in the ice pit, fed generations of his family.

Overcome path is almost 5 kilometers away - this is no joke, especially given his age, but he continues the tradition of family vypilivaya cubes of ice, produced in the caves. He then descends with the help of mules cubes to the nearest town of Riobamba, where they were sold.

Despite his age and small stature (150 cm), abalone is able to carry two 30-kilogram block on his shoulders. He is very proud of his work, which he considers to some extent, sacred and honorable. As he proudly says: "This man's work, I'm happy when I go to the mountain. Chimborazo Father watching over me ».

When asked about his unusual profession, Balthazar remembers the days when his entire community was collecting ice. "We were a group of friends, 5-6 people. I usually go with my father, mother, brothers and sisters. " Now, the company he is only his son Juan, but hikes began to take much more time, due to melting of glaciers. They go out of their village at 7 am, abalone rides on a donkey for about an hour, then they make a stop in a small bush to collect straw for wrapping ice charged ass and go way left foot. Especially careful you have to be on the last stretch of road, which is constantly showered stones and animals to watch out for.

By noon, they get to the mine Los Hieleros, abalone gets to work: chips and chunks of ice ax, produces blocks, wrap in straw and cargo on the mule, and then they go home and 4 pm return. Every Saturday Balthazar goes to the market in Riobamba, which sells 40-kilogram blocks of 2, 5 dollar. In a week he earns about $ 25.

What is remarkable - its "natural ice" is still in demand. People say it has a healing effect, and use it in the preparation of traditional juices and ice cream. Since then, the media began to cover his story, abalone began to earn a lot more: the tourists began to pay 60 dollars for a guided tour in the ice pit.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/66507747 video>

By Balthazar come as many foreign filmmakers, after which he was even invited to the premiere of a documentary film in New York. He became a local celebrity, people come to him to be photographed on the market, but the abalone is most proud of the fact that he was invited to meet the president, Rafael Correa.

"The family is jealous of me that I'm friends with President Correa - said the humble hard worker - and I suggest them to go and do my work».

via story.d3.ru/poslednii-dobytchik-lda-v-ekvadore-767951/

Tags

See also

New and interesting