Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson out of Mojang. Farewell Letter

From the interpreter: September 15 there was an official confirmation that Microsoft buys Mojang, the developer of the game Minecraft, 2, 5 billion. Mojang founder Markus Persson (better known as Notch) leaves the company. Explaining his decision, Notch posted a farewell letter, in which he described the motives of his departure. I> blockquote>
 I'm from Mojang.

I do not see myself as a real game developer. I program games because get pleasure from it, because I love the game and I love programming, but when I do it, I do not plan my game will be mega hit, and I'm not trying to change the world. It became such a hit Minecraft, and people tell me that after him the world of computer games will never be the same again. I never aspired to it. Of course, this attitude is flattering to me, and I was quite interesting to spend a celebrity.

For quite a long time since I moved away from the active development of Minecraft. Jens (Jens Bergensten) was the ideal candidate to replace me, and I wanted to do something new. I failed, try again to create something great, and since then, I decided to focus on small prototypes and interesting problems. From this work, I get great pleasure. I felt The a bit out of place in Mojang, where people make this serious work, but continued to be part of the company, as I was told that my presence is important for the corporate culture.

A few weeks ago I was lying at home with a strong cold, when the Internet exploded flash hate me about license Minecraft. I had nothing to do with this situation. I was confused and did not understand what was happening. In desperation I wrote this Tweet . A little later, I came across this video with the story of Paul Fish , and I realized that I do not have one connection with my fans, which I thought I had. I turned into a symbol. But I did not want them to be, I did not want to be responsible for something great, something I do not understand what I was not working, but that requires attention again and again. I'm not a businessman. I'm not an executive director. I'm fanatical programmer "nerd" who loves to speak openly on Twitter.

Once the deal is finally closed, I'll go out and Mojang will be back to participate in Ludum Dare and small web experiments. If suddenly I happened again do something significant, I'm likely to immediately refuse to participate in it.

Given that my image in the eyes of the public who are pretty distorted, I do not hope that my departure will help me avoid the negative comments, but at least I will not feel obligated to read them.

I understand that my behavior is contrary to many of what I have said in public. I have nothing to say. I also understand that for many has become a symbol of a kind of struggle. It is not. I am a man, not a symbol, and in this fight, I no more than ordinary participant.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for what turned Minecraft into what it has become, but you have too many, and I can not be responsible for something so big. On the one hand Minecraft now belongs to Microsoft. But on the other hand, a much more important part, it is already a very long time belonged to all of you, and always will be.

It's not about the money. The point of my ability to preserve sanity.

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/237023/

Tags

See also

New and interesting