Taming the beast copper

Immediately I say, I have not a chemist, so all knowledge of moonshining exclusively genetically inherited, plus a general course high school chemistry. But once it happened that in the hands was an interesting machine, hand itch themselves something to overtake. On his ordeal, as well as the verification of the myths about wonderful properties of copper, I propose this post.
Disclaimer: All that is persecuted, the Troshkov to himself, but according to this "article" is a forest.

So, what kind of animal the unknown? Alambik? Copper? "Yes, he also turns green as the bust of Lenin Krupskaya at the Museum" - the first thing that came to mind. Of course, this is not the machine that my grandfather Vasil collected from the cooker and sink from the ZIL.
Well, okay, we need to understand what's what. So we have a cube (in appearance more like a ball), helmet (not picked a better name), a neck, a fridge and a strange bollocks that as soon not call, but I decided to call it "strengthens the lens." At least two of the fridge and the cube we are all familiar. With the rest had to seek the help of Google. As a result, we find out why this form of the apparatus of the helmet and neck originates from the word "alcohol". And why has long been at all stills for whiskey and brandy used is copper.

But it's the lyrics. If you have a head on their shoulders and Google is not banned, then I will not help here - will understand. Campaigning for or against, I do not intend to. Judging will be the result.
In the meantime, the problem emerges from the fact that the machine is hand-made, for some unknown reason to me all the pipes and fittings for the withdrawal of water of different diameters. Looks like there is in this a great plan, but I poured out in search of something suitable from the available shmurdyak. And then naturally useful garden hoses and adapters

After some time, the designer was going. However, fitting for garden hose flow. And something that I do not care in the garden, there has resulted in the need to expose the red (as my indignation) bowl now and then, as the appearance of a leak. Therefore, the decision that it is necessary to begin to overtake the water was right as possible to identify problem points on the unit before it will form flammable substances. Given the proximity of open flames to me these dances with a tambourine during distillation nafig not needed.

Water is distilled and begun at 93 degrees. Thermometer I liked. Contact with home brew he has not, and measures the temperature of the vapor. It's good. Since unambiguously judge which component is evaporating.

Another point - a connection between the elements themselves. If the neck and the lens can be supplied standard silicone pads, the helmet have to be sealed with a cube simple test based on flour and a small amount of water. Very good putty turned out, and most importantly - safe.

Fortunately, I managed to find a fitting for garden hose that do not flow. It made life easier.

Individual words is firming lens. According to the manufacturer, produces spirits at once, without re-distillation and without the use of a distillation column.
Stuck wondering how to further experiment showed that distillate fortress on it reaches 93%. What clearly surpassed all expectations. This fragrant distillate obtained as in the traditional method, but clean, with no booze. Job lens similar to the work of the column. If the lens is not sufficiently cooled, the pair of heavy fractions are not returned to the cube and, depending on the conditions, it starts too much spitting distillate, but lower quality and lower fort. If the lens is too cool, you can even negate all the efforts of the gas burners for heating of the mash and the collection of the distillate stops.

29.04.2014 - 22:18

Merry
Date: 5.03.13
Thus adjustment was necessary water supply to the outer surface of the lens, which was added to the tap. This extremely simplifies the task of maintaining the lens in operation in the desired temperature range.
In any case, for those who are not faced with the topic, I will explain briefly why this is necessary. As is known, various materials have different boiling points. Among the most frequently encountered in Braga (if you are certainly not on the sawdust chase) you can mention the following.
Acetone 56.5C
Methanol 64C
Ethyl acetate was 77.1C
Ethanol 78C
2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol) 82C
1-propanol 97C
Water 100C

Of these edible only ethanol and water. After this each Brahe there's a whole table of fusel oils, which, in turn, also will not add you to health, and even spoil the taste of the drink. Therefore, while collecting distillate better to maintain a temperature of 78 to 82C.

Crane also help regulate the flow of water in the fridge, and he stopped to overheat and "boil»

All the nuances considered and it was decided to overtake around 8l wine mash. The process has started and the first thing in a separate container collect "the head».

The head fractions were collected, all substances with a boiling point below 78C. Unfortunately there were good and the substances that give flavor of the drink, but health is more important greed.
Besides atsetonchik also useful in the economy. Waste-free production. On the color of the "head" of the body different from the drink. On the smell - a mixture of acetone and ethyl acetate.

During the first distillation, it was decided to conduct an experiment and collect as long as the water does not go at the same time look for an indication alcoholmeters. As expected, the 83C after a turnover dropped from 93% to 87-85% and as it approaches the 93C and 40C all fallen to or below. The smell of vodka was present, although distillate remained clear until the very end. Even after dilution to 40% of the drink remained clear and in no way intended to thicken.
(It is necessary to purchase alcoholometer Flow)

Identify fusel oil managed to drink a deep freeze in the freezer. Then drink turbid because fusel oil, as well as any other good "get cool" in the cold. There are lots of treatment options, we are limited to the re-distillation with cut-off of 82C.
The taste turned out great chacha. Brandy shall not be, flavorful.
The result was that this miracle Yudo device really facilitates distillation of reducing the number of required steps.
Now, thinking it bungled its brandy. Barrel Oak is ready, by the autumn it will be possible to fill in for the winter. The next item on the program - its viskarik.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting