Scottish folk game Ba

35 ph via bigpicture

Every winter since the mid-19th century in the Scottish town of Kirkwall (Kirkwall) carried out a game called "ba" (the ba game). It - outdoor game for real men, faced two large opposing teams representing different parts of the city.

And they were the part of Victoria Street are Uppies It is those born Up-the-Gates. Dirty, in rags. Give them axes and hammers - and you can shoot a remake of the opening scenes of "Gangs of New York»

On the part of Albert Street are Doonies (Down-the-Gates)

And then I zastsal Chota. I am in the midst of a Broad street and on either side of me nadvigayutstso two hostile factions dug 150 each. But nicho has not happened. Dunnisy cheerfully stomped past me and mingled with Appisami

Everyone is waiting for a throw

Those tense legs ready.

Almost an hour. It is time, guys.

Ba - is the name of the game, and the name of the ball, which in this game is played. As a rule, Ba throws the famous former player. Universal availability. And Brian Anderson, winner of 1984, Ba throws.

Ba immediately disappears into the crowd.

The game has no rules and no referees. There's only goal. Appis must deliver Ba on Main street corner and Junction road. Dunnis Ba should drown in the harbor. By any means, any routes. For Appis shortest route - Victoria Street, Main Street. For Dunnis - Albert Street. But Ba mysterious ways. Ba could go on and on roofs, if need be

Remember that the chela, he has to play the role of

Police there is almost there. But all the medical staff of the town - here

The old men are usually not involved in the battle itself. They cleverly vzbirayutstso any elevation, and from there direct the actions of his team. The photo Ian Smith, winner of the 1980

In the course are all kinds of grips, strangulation. Cho there occurs below the belt, I do not want to even think

In the center of the fight can not breathe. That, pripodnyatstso above the crowd and sip the air, you need a lot of effort

Someone comes out of the scrum otdyshatstso someone climbs the opposite the center. To sustain the entire game in a battle no one can, the players change each other. Quite simply weakened endure at the hands (literally - thrown out)

Periodically, on the edge of a real fight scuffle breaks out. Fighters pull apart spectators

In Ba played at least 200 years. And the current one, in 1945/46 in Ba played by women. Since no thoughts about it. Men forbid their women to play in Ba. The woman, like at Christmas should cook the turkey, not the Ba play

Periodically the rain. Vikings (local people greater ethnic Norwegians) fuck

Real turned to the other side and the crowd with all the dope fit into the board, which boarded up shop Sony. I thought that would be conductive Chota.

Delivers the guy unconscious

And then dragged even the very man. However, it was repaired quickly. He drank some water, meditated ...

... And, limping, left the fray

It took two hours of play. Ba has not moved from the square in front of the cathedral. The kid is already 20 minutes unconscious

Half an hour later came an ambulance. Polisvumen noticed aimed at the lens of them and went: Excuse me, is not whether you could shoot Ba, not the people, especially the unconscious? Yeah, well Thank you C it all right? C it will be all right -Just? -Just. From Ba nobody died

After 2 and 5 hours of play, a turning point. Real came to the corner of Tankerness Lane. The key point - either Ba Appis selling its Victoria Street or Dunnis udasttsa push to fight Tankerness Lane, waterfront and harbor

Appis managed probitstso on Victoria Street. Cut off from the fight Dunnis ran bypassing

Victoria Street - a street in three meters wide. It went faster Appis chotko dvizhutstso to the goal. Where is Ba - ostaetstso current dogadyvatstso of powerful clouds of steam

The purpose Appis. You're 100 meters

Fire, people gathered pogretstso

And here, Dunnis've stole Ba and made an impressive run of Clay Loan. They managed to catch up with current street near the ruins of the Earl's Palace. That is, after 4 hours of play, fight back almost to the cathedral. Meanwhile, I almost stopped shooting because of darkness. Quest turned on a small street with no boarded-up windows and doors, near some machines

The car eventually got a few dents on the hood and headlamp embossed

But the fate of the game was already decided. Appis dodavit after all, and after 4 hours 50 minutes after the start, Derek Sutherland Ba raised above his head. Photo had to borrow from Charles Tate (he vtspyshka was, and I did not have), but not at me, he enraged for evermore. © Sharles Tait www.bagame.com

Well, I left on his Albert Street

ALL!!!

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting