Memorial concentration camp Salaspils

Maybe it's not quite a theme for the weekend, but the material is a long time and I would like to show it. In Latvia, there is a city Salaspils. It October 1941 until the end of summer 1944 was a Nazi concentration camp "Kurtengof" - the death camp, designed for mass destruction.
Now in its place - the memorial complex, which I visited in the fall.

It will be a bit of text and 39 photos, but I think it is not necessary, I will tell the end.
Please do not break.

In short - the most notorious was the camp because of the separation of children, which then began to be used for blood for the wounded German soldiers, so that children quickly die. It was not an extermination camp such as Auschwitz or Majdanek, the gas chamber for simultaneous killing of a large number of people and crematoria for burning bodies with pre-calculated output of the so-called "death factories." But he sent people with only one goal - that they have died a painful death. According to testimony in the camp had been destroyed more than 100 000 people.
Score as the number of deaths in the camp, and the composition of prisoners complicates what was destroyed during the evacuation of its administrative archive.
(Wikipedia)

So, I propose to go through this sad place with me.

It leads directly to the memorial walkway ending the wide wall.

The wall - a symbol of the boundary between life and death. (inscription in Latvian - "Behind this gate the earth groans»)

These are the laconic gray concrete bands with imitation of the window, as if the dotted line indicates the place of the former barracks.

In the center - a few giant sculptures. This Unbroken.

Mouth - front

Concrete slabs extend around the perimeter. Barracks were many.

I went to the next concrete slab ...

This is the sad place - a former children's barrack. People bring flowers here, small toys and coins ...

Hundreds of colorful toys - laughing, fluffy, shiny ...

Mother.

Sculpture "Humbled»

The left side of the square there is an eternal flame and a metronome. Neither a long time ago is not working. But the flowers here still bring.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting