MMVZ 3.221

In this review I will tell you about a rare and, in my opinion, beautiful Soviet motorcycle MMVZ 3.221.
I'll start with a little history. In 2010, I wanted to buy a bike, but the chopper and sportversiyu and enduro. Unfortunately, at that time in the ads for the sale of copies across quite expensive. When I was a schoolboy, I was engaged in the sports section of Motorsport. At the time we went on the "Minsk" for road use, a little bit modernized, but the older guys - by MMVZ 3.221. This is the last unit and was chosen.

32 photos

The struggle of man with the iron

Finding this instance were very long. The problem is that the release of the model ended before 1995. For the same reasons at the plant, to be exact, in the company store, there were no spare parts at all. Began an active search on the internet, on forums and through a friend. And one day, I exchanged letters with the person who offered some parts, my approach to the idea. We had to start somewhere!

At that time I had no idea what to agree. In general, I bought everything that was asked to me: unable to find some more details (of course, nothing new is produced, spare parts were searched all over Belarus during the year). Much is taken from models that were manufactured at the factory after my motorcycle, but one detail - from the first "Minsk" of the 1960s. This - the gas tank.

In such a "mosaic" pushed the absence of original parts. Gradually, the idea originated in the mind: if you do, it is not a factory option, but with modifications, the factory correcting flaws. The first draft assembly. The image loomed formidable and battle. Long night in a cold room, and the struggle of man with the iron did not pass without a trace.

Some items were bought by two or three times

On my motorcycle factory installed another engine in common, "hedgehog" (due to the cooling fins of the cylinder head). But he just did not find the parts. Therefore it was decided to put the engine to the road version.

A lot had to do some fighting with the fitting of spare parts and design solutions. In 1980-90-ies motorcycle loved for its simplicity and relative safety. Many people remember the "Minsk" as crashproof and simple. I think I agree with this statement, but for the time 1980-90. When working on the engine, some parts were bought by two or three times (transmission shafts first and second time not been tested for runout). I adjust all the gaps in transmission. Crankshaft set of Soviet production in very good condition (new all were "crooked" and did not respond to balancing them enough damage to make them as such).

First bought a new cylinder, and then exchanged with a friend on the cylinder of the 1990s. Now sell the Chinese, Polish, Russian rare (most preferred) kits. Unfortunately, they do not shine durability (due to the materials used) and workmanship. With regular salary all the necessary components were sent to the painting.

Over the next paycheck was purchased the necessary hardware. Made steering rack. And they began to take shape outlines. Each evening, and sometimes at night, thought through all the details and trivia, whether or fixing wiring. After a time frame beginning "acquire" all necessary collected bit by bit. The choice of rubber fell on a road version, as in the summer, in my opinion, a motorcycle ride more enjoyable than a car.

The first start was exciting, the result depended on the result of his labor. And motorcycles wound! On the one hand, I believe in a successful start-up, the other - do not believe, who knows what. At that moment I was filled with joy, it seemed that even the tears gone. The brainchild of signs of life! It was later added everything necessary for obtaining the desired appearance and functionality.

The problem with stars

Before final assembly it was estimated that "native" star with a motor road from MMVZ 3.112 at medium speed can not exceed a speed of 35-40 km / h. Here I was upset because the other stars on this bike is not set! Somehow accidentally remembered MMVZ trial version 3.232, which was a necessary star (it searches also durable, a motorcycle was produced in very small batches). The reason for the search was long, and the specifics of the hub disc (they put a limited number of techniques - cross, trial, trike).

Actually, in the final version of the driven star found (it was adapted), a leading set of 16 teeth (not often found such an option). As a result, at an average speed motorcycle develops 50 km / h. For comparison: in the road version 3.112 MMVZ approximately the same rpm speed is about 60-65 km / h.

It turned out to achieve the speed at which you can move around the city, as well as the necessary traction to drive out of the asphalt. That merit carb Indian producer (in my opinion, the best carburetor to the engine).

The bike has been replaced all the wiring, added battery necessary electrical circuits supplied fuses, ignition switch gave way to a more tricky. Engine transferred to the 92nd gasoline, although originally worked on the 76th. After the first trips "died" a new high-voltage coil, broke new crankshaft oil seal. It affects the quality of present details for the classics, perhaps marriage. The coil is replaced by another, Soviet-made seals - to foreign analogues.

On the bike course is very interesting. Gently pass irregularities and holds the road on asphalt, playfully picks up speed and good brakes (for drum brakes). In the deep and sticky mud because of the universal tires sometimes lack cohesion.

After the first season of the motorcycle was restyled. Piston, separator ring replaced by Japanese equivalent (in the piston made additional channels for oil, ring chromed) in the cylinder handled properly scavenging ports (factory processing is very differs from the true value), removing blemishes casting set petal valve of Japanese art (such cubing) and do a third channel (increases throttle response at low and medium speed), lay emphasis replaced by sturdier. Added tool compartment, electronic relay turns (allowing for any mains voltage clear signal lamps) and voltage to charge the battery. "Native" corrugated plug replaced with a more robust, high-mounted coil B-117 (again, because of reliability), reinforced brake drums. Added third stiffness to traverse fork.

In the process, I learned a very detailed motoprom Minsk. It's a shame it becomes when you come into the company store, and there is new development ... enduro motorcycles, of course, not bad, but our engineers are not made (or rather, not their hands). But there were interesting projects, which look and feel something ours, pleasing to the eye. The cost of my project is close to $ 2,000, so the guys who decide to take a similar reduction, should think - maybe better to buy ready-made? I want to thank all the friends and acquaintances who helped me in this work, and especially his wife - for their patience and understanding.

Posted in [mergetime] 1367859061 [/ mergetime]
The author and owner of the motorcycle - Vladimir Filistovich.
Photo: auto.onliner.by

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting