180,000 kilometers of riding on the "Chinese"

Continuing the theme of my wanderings in Russia and the world tell you about an interesting car.

I am often asked questions on this car and now keep asking. Especially in the first years of operation. In this review, I express your own opinion, about a three-year driving experience of the Chinese car Great Wall Safe G5, the Russian assembly. At the time of writing (March 2011) cars of this brand in Russia is no longer available and is not officially imported. (They met in a Moscow Gzhel).
The car I have sold a few months ago, at the age of three years and a mileage of 180,000 kilometers. Impressions from her I have the most controversial. From raptures, to the complete denial. In general, there will be only the facts and experience.

(Will be 50 pictures, and text. Photo from the Internet, text me, waiting patiently podborochku not break)
© CTPAHnic

Great Wall Safe (SUV G5)
Created based on the Toyota 4runner with significant simplifications (front suspension, steering, and others.)

In any configuration:

• Acoustic speakers 8
• CD / cassette / radio cassette player
• Power
• Adjustable steering column
• Leather steering wheel
• Climate Control
• electric heated seats
• Heated mirrors
• E. Mirrors
• 5 windows
• Electric razdatka
• Central locking with remote control
• Fog lamps
• alloy wheels

General characteristics
Drive back / full
Engine
Type 491QE
Number of cylinders / valves 4/8
Compression ratio 8.8
Volume, cc 2237
Power, HP (/ rpm) 105 (4600)
Torque N / m (r / min) 190
The maximum recommended speed, km / h (120 possible briefly to disperse up to 150)
Kind of fuel consumption and AI92 /7.9 (real consumption of 15 in the city, 10 on the highway)
Tank capacity 64 liters
Body
Type SUV
Number of doors / seats 5/5
Length 4860
Width
Height 1820
Track (front / rear) 1480/1470
Front suspension is independent torsion
Rear suspension spring
Front disc brakes
Rear disc brakes
Ground clearance 200
Curb weight 1640/1760 1665/1760
Total weight 1965/2085
Turning circle 12
The size of tires 235 / 75R15

Car Great Wall Safe, I purchased primarily for work. I needed a car that would meet mutually exclusive requirements:
New, comfortable truck, load capacity of 700 kg, a representative, cross-country, for family and recreation. In this budget the purchase was within the limits of 500,000 rubles. Reasonable competitors were only Japanese / Korean minivans, but they were already with high mileage. What if my mode of operation is not very good.

A little history of the brand.
Prototype Toyota 4Runner (aka Hilux Surf) is positioned as the car category "compact SUV». The characteristic features of this class of vehicles are relatively small salon and very roomy luggage compartment. Body - wagon, mounted on the frame and combined with a reliable suspension, engine and transmission. Like the body of the car, all units are mounted on the frame, which significantly improves the maintainability of the machine.

SUV (Eng. Sport Utility Vehicle - «practical sports car" or "vehicle for active rest") - a marketing term for a vehicle having a body "versatile" but based on the chassis of an SUV. SUV on the majority of the characteristics are similar to the Light passenger car. Their versatility is due to the ability to perform a variety of tasks, including not peculiar cars - transportation of a large number of passengers (such as vans), transportation of oversized cargo (both generalists), towing heavy trailers (both pickups), traffic on to easy road (as ATVs).
Marketing concept car SUV class took shape in the early 1980s, when formed a strong demand for universal cars, combining cross-utility vehicle, truck capacity and comfort of a sedan. The first SUV are descendants of commercial and military transport vehicles such as the Jeep and Land Rover. In particular, in 1984, Toyota Corporation has introduced a new SUV Toyota 4Runner first generation. Car Toyota 4Runner (aka Hilux Surf) is based on a pickup Toyota (aka Tacoma, Hilux). Since that time, I changed the 4Runner 5 generations.

4. In the photo of the first generation 4Runner 1985.

The second-generation Toyota 4Runner were produced from 1989 to 1995. Despite the withdrawal from production of these machines are still in demand in the secondary market, especially in Eastern Europe, Asia and Latin America. Perhaps this is why the second-generation Toyota 4Runner (130-m body) was chosen as the prototype for the production of vehicle SUV class Chinese automaker Great Wall.

5. 1989

Great Wall Motor Company is among the ten largest automakers in China. Great Wall at factories produced cars, SUVs and pickup trucks. For the development and introduction of competitive car company uses advanced modern technology and works closely with companies in Europe and Japan.
In 1996, the Great Wall, in the production process by applying Japanese technology and has earned a high evaluation of the quality, is rapidly implemented a full-scale implementation of its products throughout China. The company currently occupies first place in the share of the market, the volume of products supplied, working capital, the level of production capacity, product range, production of special-purpose vehicles, and high growth rates.
With the start of production in 2003 SUV SUV G5 is №1 in terms of sales in China.

6. In the photo the prototype

Motor vehicle Great Wall Safe (SUV G5) - petrol, 4-cylinder, in-line cylinders, multi-point fuel injection. Structurally similar to the engine GW 491QE Japanese motor Toyota 4Y, but Toyota 4Y design changes have been made, allowing the use of gasoline AI-92. Engines 4Y are still available for use on forklifts and other vehicles. Therefore, in the sale, there is always a modern consumables and spare parts are suitable for repair of the engine 491.
Engine capacity - 2237 cu. See power - 105 hp and maximum torque - 190 Nm is reached at 2400-2800 rpm. Displacement Engine oil - 4, 5 liters, the volume of the cooling system - 7, 9 l. Rev limiter (so-called "cut-off") is triggered when the value of a little more than 4500 rpm. A feature of the engine GW 491QE, largely determines its service life, it is the first maintenance after the break-in, during which you must Tightening the cylinder head (cylinder head). According to the service book, Tightening the cylinder head must be performed on TO-1 car with mileage of 1000-1500 km.
In general, the engine GW 491QE quite unpretentious and reliable. Practical operation revealed the most part, particular cases of the shortcomings associated with the build quality and service engines. During the operation, in addition to routine maintenance, it is recommended to regularly check the condition of candles, high-voltage wires, belts, bearings, tension rollers.
Relatively common serious fault cylinder head gasket. Burnout cylinder head gasket occurs mainly in cars, in engines which have not been performed Tightening the cylinder head on TO-1. In this case, as a rule, the cylinder head gasket is "punched" in the run for more than 20 000 km. It is expressed antifreeze gets into the combustion chamber or any oil in the engine cooling system. At the same time, there are some of the signs of "punched" cylinder head gasket: a sharp increase in the temperature of the coolant in the expansion tank appear bubbles from entering the crankcase gases into the antifreeze, changing its color through the exhaust emitted large amounts of water (evaporative coolant in the combustion chamber) or water vapor, can also form an emulsion in the oil system. In the latter case, the repair may affect not only the replacement of the cylinder head gasket, oil and antifreeze, but also the entire engine overhaul.
Motor vehicle Great Wall Safe in combination with the standard 5-speed manual gearbox, which has a sufficiently "short" transmission allows to move confidently in city traffic and on suburban highways. The sound of the engine at low speeds can be called pleasant. BUT if the momentum will be a little higher, it is a jet plane. Soundproofing no!
In the urban cycle engine consumes about 15 liters of gasoline per 100 kilometers. In terms of urban flow capacity of the engine is sufficient for a quiet, but quite confident movement even with the use of air conditioning. For the aggressive driving style of engine power will not be enough. In addition, motor overload, exacerbating "chronic disease» 491QE, due to weaknesses in the structure, which will be mentioned below.

7. Engine 491 QE

8. Engine 4Y

When driving on the highway fuel consumption is 10-13 liters / 100 km. Under normal loading of the car engine allows you to move at a speed of 110-130 km / h in fifth gear at a value of 3000-3200 RPM. Rapid acceleration, for example, to overtake, on the 5th gear does not work, so you have to switch to 4th gear and bring the engine to 3500-4000. A further increase in revolutions pronounced effect does not give.
The maximum degree of dignity is manifested motor roads. Confident traction even at low speed allows to move in tightness on rough terrain without "spinning" the engine. When you connect the all-wheel drive can be used directly or downshifts in the transfer case, so the off-road light and medium level Great Wall SUV G5 is able to overcome easily. In this sense, the car is probably the yield on the level of off-road capabilities of domestic "Odnoklassniki" UAZ Patriot only because of the non-ideal geometric cross. The long wheelbase and overhangs "Safe" is characterized more for crossovers than for highly specialized terrain vehicles. In addition strut tower bar that holds the front propeller, it serves as an additional brake (plow) to drive through the mud.

9. Vehicle converted for ATV

Immediately after the selection of color and pattern, I checked how could the body to "unbeaten" and "unpainted»
Often it happens that the car hit right in the cabin and then restore. Everything was in order. The doors were closed, the motor is started immediately lowered the window-ups. Drip-free and has not been too much smoke.
After the paperwork, I'm happy and scared at the same time left the salon. Frightened, because the dimensions of the machine is clearly not accustomed. Sitting in an airplane. A bunch of instruments, all the other cars far below. But it is very close to the sides. It is not yet very clear advantages of such a landing.

The whole machine is in polyethylene. I hate the way to go. It is necessary to immediately destroy the petty bourgeoisie! I went to see his mother in the yard, and rented the entire package. Now the machine is similar to the conventional, expensive car. Black always wins, if there is no dirt or dust.
The first thousand kilometers was successful. There was some smoke from the unit, but it is a normal process of a new engine. Under the hood, still, all the glitters and shines. Drip not, the sound level.

10. The first photo in the cabin, mileage 0 km.

I roll up the first long-distance. Nearby, 160 kilometers round - trip.
Mileage week about 1500 km. We need to go to the first TO. From fault observed:
Poor closes right rear door. Poorly closed-door opens into the trunk. Barely I found it even opens. Called to the salon, I ask how to open that key. I feel chode. To open the tailgate, it is necessary to fully open the rear window with a key or a button in the cabin and then open the handle located inside. If you do not know, you can go for years with a closed board. Adjusted door for free under warranty. Changed oil filter, consumables mine, about 3,500 rubles.
Went on toning, back can be tinted to zero. When removing rear window, it was revealed factory marriage installation. Rear window (lifting) is set askew, not in a frame. We fix something taped her. They said do not touch the glass one day. A few days later the glass ceased to fall by half. I went to warranty service. Make Free. A few days later, again stopped working. Glass opens crooked. Again, make free warranty.

11. Rear view

Up TO-2 incident it was not practical. But closer to 7,000 km. I became ill working the clutch master cylinder. This is the first disease that is found on a large batch of cars. It revealed for the first thousand mileage. Repairing fee. For problem elastics sealing cylinder, and they are not included in the warranty! You can certainly argue suing, but I have more time, 900 rubles repair. Changed the cylinder completely. All the three years he worked without any problems!
After that I decided not to go to firm service unnecessarily, because of problems with the car warranty was not, and does not warranty cases cost several times more expensive than repair. The warranty period and mileage between TO 7000 km, IMHO only want to earn money dealers.
Although they are quite loyal to routine maintenance. Focusing on similar cars of other brands of oil producers and advice, I went to the best MOT, oil change and filter 10,000 km semi-synthetics and synthetics to 15,000. The next 50,000 kilometers, intensive use of the system of the city of 20% to 80% were long-distance without breakdowns.
At 50,000 km. I decided to change the candles (the original Chinese) and pads front and rear. Candles are worn by 80%, but the car worked perfectly. Pads wear 70% me. This is the result of connecting front-wheel drive in the winter. Almost winter does not turn it off. Wear Pads 30 percent will go to the sale itself and many more years.

12. In the trunk of a small ATV
vlazit

Up to 80,000 travel without problems (apart from the accident, below), the machine runs like clockwork.
After this round numbers going long distance and foolish step on the accelerator until it stops. The speed of 140 km per hour for a few minutes. Suddenly I see an increase in temperature, I brake but was too late. Burnt gasket. Steam from the muffler and engine. The weak point 491 engine cylinder head gasket near the 4 cylinder. You can not exceed the overheating and engine speed. 50 out of 100 engines are experiencing it, even branded Toyota. The problem in a constructive rendering, the small distance between the cylinder 4 and the edge of the pad. They say on Japanese cylinder head gasket, the problem has already been solved. Although the Chinese also learn quickly.
I drag me back to the city friends, free of charge. I began to call for service. Question repair costs from 27000 rubles from my dealer. The other dealer price tag better. Negotiate 11,000 rubles (removal, installation of a head, replacing the cylinder head gasket, oil changes and coolant)
Three days later we did. All OK! The machine works. Not changed rings on the exhaust system (pads), they are not available, the machine works with a broken muffler, a little more sharply than before. As they say - whips.
After repairing the machine runs without any problems. Change Pads 90,000 km, not even because worn out, but because the tired old ride.

13. In deep snow can damage the bottom of the bumper!

100.000 run, when the front axle heard the clank and roar like from a can. He climbed under the car proves to be flown on the front cross-piece cardan. Throughout the winter I went to the front of the connected, despite the restrictions under the instruction. This is probably the result of a drive.
Rubber is still standing full-time, year-old. For all three years, I did not and never changed! It is pretty well-kept road in summer and winter. Excluding only the bare ice, but it is very rare.
I went to the store, everything is different crosses, nobody, not even the master does not know what size is needed at my car. There are five options: 27, 28, 28, 5, 29, 30 millimeters. I asked the guys on the forum, advised by 29 mm. When disassembled, it was found that they do not fit, you need to 28.5mm. In some cardans good crosses rise from the Muscovite!

14. Bottom view. On the right we see the front propeller.

In general, many of parts can be found in the conventional product, the Volga 3110, for example one in a radiator fan rises. What I learned later, when I was no longer the impeller on the run in 130.000 km. Impeller native is not removable, the fan is not collapsible. Brothers Chinese are put on hidden rivets and nuts. New cost 4500 rubles, under the order. Available they were not. Samu impeller can be exchanged for the 1000 rubles. But I did not take risks and replaced completely, the price 2500 rub.
After a run of 100,000 I put the car on the Italian gas equipment, latest generation, with multiple injection.

All.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting