13-year-old student in the class gathered nuclear reactor

13-year-old Briton Jamie Edwards became the youngest creator of a nuclear reactor in the world. His unit was forced to raise the boy in her school class after the local Department of Physics Institute refused to cooperate with him.

Fortunately, the winner of the amateur competition of scientific unable to comply with all safety requirements and the project was completed without incident.
Yesterday, the teenager became the youngest person in the world who managed to start the process of nuclear fusion from the ground up, combining two hydrogen atoms to create helium.

"This is a great achievement. It's great, really "- he said then Jamie. - I can not believe it, but all my friends think I'm crazy & quot ;.
Jamie, who attends the after school Academy in Preston, for many years interested in radiation. Once, he even bought a Geiger counter on the money that he got for Christmas.

His role model was the 14-year-old student from the United States Taylor Wilson, who became the youngest person who built a fusion reactor. It happened in Nevada in the year 2008.
"I looked at him and thought that would be great, too, to make history," - said Jamie.

Seriously intending to repeat the achievement of an American boy decided to enlist the help of nuclear laboratories and university departments, but they did not take him seriously. So the only place for experiments became the laboratory school. Help in the work of school director Jamie assisted Jim Hurigan that even allocated $ 4,500 to the project from the school budget.
After several months of operation, the reactor was completed, but it was decided to start on the eve of the 14th birthday of Jamie that the boy celebrate this weekend. Yesterday, in the classroom, in the presence of the audience, which included physicists, he flipped a switch, and closely watched the Geiger counter readings, unless it has ascertained that the fusion molecules really happened.

The most striking example of nuclear fusion is our sun. This type of reaction is significantly different from nuclear fission, or the splitting of the atom, which occurs in nuclear power plants.
Experiment Jamie copies the work of scientists around the world, but their installation have much larger dimensions. This process of studying physics in the hope to use it to create environmentally friendly power plants.

--img6--

Source: dymontiger.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting