Once I saw the painting by Sergey Andriyaka “New Year’s Eve” and since then I can’t stop thinking about it, a very touching plot.

There are paintings that touch the soul and leave their imprint in it forever. “New Year’s Eve”, which was written by Sergey Andriyaka in 1984, is the case. I saw it completely by chance on the Internet in the bustle of the New Year. And you know, the whole festive mood was blown away. All these olives, garlands, Christmas balls and other tinsel in an instant became unimportant. And I wondered what time we were living. Yes, and always lived, to be honest, it was just not so obvious.

I kept trying to get this picture out of my head, but it never works. So I decided I needed to know more about her. And you know what? This artwork has a really interesting story based on real events. And the person who wrote it is not that simple either.

On the canvas we see a lonely and, most likely, an elderly woman. Her old age is indicated by her tired hunched back and a sticking out reminder of the years she lived. There is no soul around, a dark and cold winter night. Some of the graves rise above the snowdrifts, let a carefully decorated Christmas tree stick out on the grave. What made the old lady go to the cemetery at midnight? Why does she not celebrate the New Year with family and friends? Let's get this straight.

Artist and teacher Sergey Andriyaka is 64 years old, and he buried his father long ago. Once, while visiting his grave during the winter holidays, he met an old woman on his way back from the cemetery. The same old woman who later portrayed in his most famous painting.

The old lady told him her sad story. Just before the New Year, her only daughter died. She had no husband, no brothers and sisters, and she was left alone in this world. On New Year’s Eve, the old woman came to the cemetery, put up a small Christmas tree, decorated it with toys. She lit two candles, one for herself and one for her daughter. That's how I met the New Year.

The story so impressed Sergei that he decided to immediately paint the picture. And I must say that he is endowed with an outstanding photographic memory and is famous for his landscapes, which from memory and draws. He is especially interested in architecture, the artist has many paintings dedicated to the cities of both Eastern and Western Europe.

Therefore, in the picture you can see Moscow burning with festive lights in the distance. The city is drowning in fun and warmth that seem inexpressibly distant and alien against the backdrop of a lonely old woman. To the loudness and happiness of the great city, she preferred the silent company of her late daughter.

Instagram Feature of the picture What else is remarkable this picture? 2024 will be exactly 40 years old, as it was written. And the events captured on it, as can not accurately describe the cruel realities of today. While some have fun and celebrate, others bury their loved ones. The main message of this picture is that behind the powerful energy of the main holiday of the year, behind the light of garlands and rustling packages can hide another, not festive life. Everyone celebrates this New Year in their own way. Perhaps that is why I felt so bad about this work of Sergey Andriyaki.

I like his other naturalistic paintings as well. But “New Year’s Eve” touched the heart more than the rest. I would love to see some of his paintings live. Even in photographs, the landscapes look very colorful. Basically, Sergey Andriyaka prefers oil watercolor, but what he only tried: mosaic, gouache, and stained glass. But decided on a multi-layered watercolor.

What’s remarkable is the artist’s productivity. He claims that in his life there is an unshakable rule: paint 1 picture a day. He said, “How many days a year do I do that much work every year?” Without exception, regardless of personal or work circumstances.” At the same time, Sergey runs his own art school and takes part in numerous exhibitions.

Well, about the painting “New Year’s Eve” began to talk with renewed vigor right now, because its mood at the moment responds to many. Some people see it as a positive message. For example, it is much more important to spend the New Year with your family. And to think about those who are no longer with us, because memory is the only thing that remains after a person.

Not only am I not in the mood this year. I don’t think it’s true that the artist is involved in this, but many friends and acquaintances share that he (the mood) is not enough even to cut salads or bring himself into the proper form. This year is much harder than before. We look at the picture and sigh together. What is your festive atmosphere? What do you think 2024 will bring?

Tags

See also

New and interesting