Why remove the first cucumber ovaries without pity and doubt

I started to be interested in how to grow vegetables correctly as a child.

While other girls played with dolls, I delightedly discovered the world of gardeners.

But, no matter how hard I tried to master the science of growing vegetables from an early age, there was still a whole bunch of questions to which I could not find an answer on my own.

It was then that Valentina Stepanovna came to the rescue - my grandmother's school friend, and also our neighbor. (Sometimes you just wonder what coincidences fate sometimes prepares for us!)

Since my grandmother passed away, Aunt Valya took me under her wing. Last year alone, she gave me so much useful advice that I will never be grateful for ever.

It all started with a simple question: "Why remove the first cucumber ovaries ?"

The first ovaries of cucumbers “The joy of the appearance of the first shoots and ovaries cannot be compared with anything! I myself, when I found out that they should be removed, did not want to believe, ”Aunt Valya remembered her first planting of cucumbers with a smile.

“Many gardeners do well without this procedure. That's just, child, who is not stingy, only he receives a generous harvest in the end. Yes, and many times faster than the others, ”- used to say Valentina Stepanovna.

The thing is that during the formation of the first ovaries, all the nutrients and forces of the plant are directed to the development of the fetus. Thus, there are no more resources left for the active growth of new shoots and ovaries.

And no matter how sorry it is to get rid of young cucumbers, it still needs to be done. After all, this will help to activate the formation and development of the remaining ovaries. That in the end will make it possible to harvest twice the harvest.

In addition, in order for the cucumber ovaries on the main stem to develop faster, it is also necessary to get rid of the lateral shoots.

Of course, you do not need to remove all side shoots. It is enough just to pinch them after the formation of 3-4 leaves. This will make it possible to evenly distribute the strength of the plant between the main and lateral shoots. And get several healthy pickles at once.

The main thing is to carry out the procedure for removing shoots and ovaries carefully and without fuss. This should be done with a sharp knife or garden shears. “God forbid, to cut them off with your hands! - emphasized Aunt Valya. - For such tortures, nature will not thank you ... "

And the weather for this procedure is better to choose dry and warm. So that the incisions heal quickly and the plant does not become infected with fungal infections. And there will be less pests around.

“And you shouldn't overdo it. Remove a couple of ovaries, and let the rest grow up. Otherwise, you will drive the plant into a strong stress, so without cucumbers you will remain in the winter to cuckle, ”our dear neighbor concluded the lesson.

We hope you find these tips useful as well.

We wish you a generous harvest and good mood, see you soon!

Tags

See also

New and interesting