Explosive crash test CASIO G-SHOCK

CASIO Japanese company needs no introduction, as well as its range of impact-resistant and waterproof watch G-SHOCK. But few people know where to start the story units, the product of which was in my crash test.

4:44, make a wish. I>

Background
Previously (and still is) wristwatches were considered fragile items. One day a young man, Kiku Ibe (a leading developer of hours of CASIO) decided to remedy this situation - he wanted to make a watch that would not break even in case of a fall. To solve this problem in 1981 in the company has established a working group of three people who have the basis of their work the concept «Triple 10": they have created the clock had to withstand a fall from a height of 10 meters, the water pressure of 10 bar, and the service life Batteries must be 10 years of age.

At that time, it was an incredibly difficult task (hello to all wearable gadgets of today, who can not work out on a single charge and a couple of days) - After months of hard work the band members were exhausted mentally and physically threatened by the fact that the project will go into a dead end and will closed. Nevertheless, the solution was found. According to the official version, it found itself Kiku Ibe when accidentally saw in a park children play. « During the repulsion of the ball off the ground all that inside the ball, completely protected from being hit i>» - suddenly he thought. This observation led him to create watches with a hollow structure, the module which gradually moved in the interior of the housing.

Then there were several years of experimentation on more than 200 prototypes. In the end, the light appeared high impact product that hit the market in April 1983 - a model of G-SHOCK DW-5000C-1A

I have to test electronic watches were CASIO G-SHOCK GD-120CM-5E in camouflage coloring «woodland». The device is the most representative of the spotty line G-Specials Collection - where all devices have camouflage design (other colors), or intended for other similar ways of life.

Since the beginning of the conversation went exactly crash test, it will not be much focus on the possibilities of hours. But at the same time they can not be listed, so in short: show the time (including the world, 48 of the 31 cities timezone), have auto calendar, stopwatch, timer, 5 alarms function Snooze, LED backlight. Cost of hours - almost 10 thousand rubles.

Hours pretty massive (weight is 72 grams), their presence on the hand will always be felt, although soon get used to the size. And watch and strap are made of a special highly durable polymer that is resistant to various external stimuli.

Let's go!
Before the start of crash tests, I spent some time on YouTube, looking like a watch G-SHOCK series plagued other people. It is a pity that this wasted time will not return - all tests were some insipid, boring and not indicative. Perhaps because people are plagued their own hours and they did not have problems of their break. I have the same initial conditions are somewhat different - the clock was not mine, and got to the test; with the potential death of the device has been agreed upon, so in tests it was decided not lisp do not play with the clock in the calf tenderness. Breaking break so :) As in "Diamond Hand" - hit hard, but gently.

Plan crash tests as such I was not - was just a few sophisticated options for torture, which has been decided to implement the principle "from simple to complex." Something prompted tweeted and instagramme, here are some of the options:

Wash using an AED. B> AVD - high pressure, the most famous representative - "Karcher" in the wash. Any pressure in the AWD 120-220 bar, whereas the manufacturer supplied clock waterproof properties under a pressure of 20 bar. An interesting variant - in theory, should watch beautifully cut water jet.

The explosion of firecrackers. B> In view of the approaching NG, without question took this option to work.

Wash in the washing machine. B> At first it seemed to me the best test, but after the first tests it became clear that the washing machine is nothing interesting would have happened. And the camouflage spots would still not be removed;)

Play for hours in hockey. B> Sports - life!

lie in the sand. B> The easiest way to mess up the display of any gadget about it below.

Lay under the jack. B> Why not? Every time I do tire with some gadget!

microwave oven. B> Instant death for electronics hours and, most likely, for microwave :)

shot from a gun. B> In fact, next to the house there is a rifle range, where we could agree on reprisals against the clock. But let's be realistic: It is clear that none of the civil gadgets can not resist firearms, so this option is only suitable for a spectacular farewell to the device. On the other hand, during his school years, I was in a museum of Internal Affairs, and there I remember a police badge, which saved the wearer from bullets - suddenly bulletproof watch too?
Test 1. B> Durability glass
The manufacturer reports that the clock is mineral glass, scratch-resistant. I do not know what is meant by mineral glass, as well as do not know of raspiarenny glass Gorilla Glass, however, was almost 100% sure that the glass will be nothing.

Not mistaken. From ordinary knife or other sharp objects clock screen does not feel any emotion - you can safely drive a blade, and no trace will be left scratching. But exactly the same can be done with many smartphones, for instance, my An old video of crash-test screen of my HTC HD2:

Nevertheless, the screen can be scratched. As the clock CASIO G-SHOCK, and in any smartphone with glass Gorilla Glass. Mohs (Mohs' scale of hardness) of glass Gorilla Glass approximately 5.5-6 points, which means that it can hurt any more solid mineral. And there is complete: for example, quartz (7 points), which can easily end up in your pocket in the form of grains of sand. Easily and naturally these grains scratched you everything in the world and the screen including - not even notice. Well, or topaz / alumina / diamond - if you (or your girlfriend) tchotchke wear with these stones, using drills with diamond coating, the screen of your devices at risk.

There are other materials that can be scratches on the screen - for example, my beloved titanium, an extremely hard metal. Titanium rings can easily draw anything on any glass, including glass hours CASIO. Sometimes I regret that the ring is titanium - all utensils scratched :)

One feels that glass is thick and very strong - at least it is possible to chop nuts, nothing will (sorry that the photo / video is not filmed), although the reverse side of hours for that is far better.

Test 2. B> Water
The manufacturer claims not just moisture resistance and water resistance, but the direct protection from water-prezaschitu (fifth grade protection, the highest in the company - up to 20 bar pressure, that is, with such a clock is theoretically possible to dive to a depth of 200 meters).

Unfortunately, diving is not made, however, water is the first element, faced clock. First, just under the tap, then water in the kettle.

Electronics goes, and the bubbles in spite of the cavity structure is not located. Bored :)

Test 3. B> Boiling
It is especially important to watch worked in boiling water - it is useful, for example, if you cook the shrimp. Because if not dovarit, they will be solid, and if digest, they will be like porridge. Or more than sugar in tea stir when a spoon is not - not the same finger?

I do not rule out that the device can be melted plastic from a long stay in boiling water, or something happens to the paint. But then I thought - the same clock designed specifically to during crash tests to break off like me! Therefore, as the clock went and went.

Test 4. B> Ice
Nowhere did not find the operating temperature range for the watches, but that does not mean that they should not work in the cold. On the contrary - in the cold, they just have to work.

Had to use the freezer refrigerator in the office, where she was exposed to the minimum temperature - minus 32 degrees. Simply freeze the clock is not interested, so they went into the freezer in the original stylish case in which they are sold. Case himself was filled with water.

Some time later turned hexagonal ice plummet with protruding strap covered with frost. Barely pulled out, as a side interfered case - washed in boiling water for hours and decided to freeze again, in a more convenient (for subsequent experiments) container.

Knife to dig up ice dial - go!

Test 5. B> Shock and fall
You need to use the watch as brass knuckles, and on them uncomfortable block of ice? Not a problem. No need to wait until the clock thaw - fastest free them from the ice prison, you can hit the floor.

I want to note that all previous experiments were repeated several times. From cold in the boiling water, then - again in the freezer and so on. So with the downs. The first test was successful - the ice shattered into small pieces and hours though henna. Despite the fact that they fell to one of the most "dangerous" gadzhetnyh surfaces - tiles.

Each of us sometimes nerves acting up. Someone at this point smokes cigarettes, someone - foul language, and someone kicks the cat or throws the phone into the wall. Therefore, it was necessary to test the CASIO G-SHOCK to this case, so the clock again flew to the floor, but already more power (and without a protective layer of ice). Again, it was nothing - just jumped to the side, no detail has fallen off, not a scratch on the clock.

But on the third roll, unfortunately, the integrity of the hours gone the distance - a proposal « Straight with all the dope throw! I>» was taken by my colleague too close to the heart. Notice how hard cast watches, as well as the fact that the first such drop (without ice), they survived with dignity:

Hours crashed - the impact was so strong (and, apparently, under the unfortunate angle) that the lower metal cover literally torn off: it was attached to the 4 cogs - their legs (screwed) stuck in hours, but hats pootryvat and cover fell off, and with it has taken off and the entire contents.

But it is worth to pay tribute to that the clock was still not a scratch! A glass was installed in one piece! That is, if used more reliable cogs, then the clock would hardly something happened. Tear off the strap does not count - he just knocked sleeve that after 5 minutes put in place (long sleeve searched itself - Sunset at the aquarium).

On the one hand, the clock collapsed and failed the test. On the other hand - I just started a taste :) housing as new, and if you take the time to assemble with pieces detalek, ie, non-zero chance that the clock would be working again. So I decided to glue the lid on the superglue and count the hours shareware alive, have to check the mechanical strength of the body.

However, I should note that I'm surprised mechanical resistance hours. They were thrown very much, not at all, as they were thrown in many crash tests. And they broke not the first time - this means that under normal conditions for them can not survive. If it someone hits their zazhmёt subway doors or they simply fall to the ground - they did not happen.

Test 6. B> The explosion of firecrackers
Before the New Year on the streets especially a lot of shops of all kinds of fireworks. And if a child I had a few months of good behavior for a pack of "Le Corsaire", now I can afford to buy it with pocket money, without good behavior :)

One could start the clock on any rocket, but those things to be trifled with, so I just bought three packs of firecrackers "Le Corsaire-5" and one pack of "Le Corsaire-8" - the largest that was.

Watchbands enough for a 12 "small" corsairs - a little space was left for the Bengal lights. After all, it was necessary to somehow simultaneously ignite and blow up all the firecrackers that while arms and legs remained in place, and all the mess was caught on video. In this regard, Bengal lights come in handy.

Explosion (rather loud), there was a puff of smoke - hours was not there. As was not around them :) After 5 minutes of searching in 5 meters in the grass was found on the strap hours (unharmed), and another 5 minutes later - the clock itself. And, surprisingly, is also safe and sound! But again flew sleeve strap, and look for it in the grass was pointless. And without it, the strap was not attach to continue testing with the corsairs.

And I thought - if 12 firecrackers (even if they do not explode all at once), nothing happened, why suddenly from a slightly larger size firecrackers everything should be turned inside out? "No" - I said to myself, and carried the clock on the next test.

Test 7. B> Jack
It is difficult to imagine a more ridiculous test for hours than hitting them on the wheel of the car. The weight of my car is about 1200 kg, that is distributed to each wheel roughly 300 kg. And given the contact area and the size of the wheels hours, it turns out that with the same success at the clock, you can just sit down - the result is the same.

But use the watch as a jack (or rather, as a spacer between the car and jack) - this is a demonstration test of strength.

Take out the jack, put on his watch and place the design right under the spar car. Quite a long time the car went up ... but then there was a typical cotton - burst glass. Juicy and with a crunch. Unfortunately, gained altitude would not be enough to tire, but if a flat tire, it might well have been removed.

Go to the "Terminator" from the press, look around. Screen really cracked, crumbled into small pieces. Although some pieces be seen how thick glass is used - about 2 mm.

Also bent the enclosure, dropped some buttons. On the geometry of the damage can be concluded that the clock again no luck with a test (ie me) and instrument of torture: Playground jack has a small indentation under the lip on the side member, so watch literally selling this projection.

And if a jack and support were flat (not safe with the car point of view), then the clock would be much more likely to survive: they would not push for, and ivy. And in this case it would be more likely to survive - even after the second "death" shows how mechanically strong material enclosure.

Further experiments on the clock, it was decided to stop, because it would no longer crash test, and a mockery of the dead twice in peacetime)

What's inside
More after the clocks scattered in the stairwell, I looked inside. Meals at the expense of battery CR2025, which, incidentally, took off during the throw on the floor. The manufacturer claims that from her watch is able to work as much as 7 years, provided that the day of the backlight will turn on only once, and the alarm will not work for longer than 20 seconds.

Only one handkerchief, one display, one battery and a few rubber seals - that's all the stuffing. Each of the layers was securely fastened in a white plastic ties on the latch.

Total
The Internet is full of videos with crash tests of these (or similar) hours, but almost everywhere all the tests are held in quite gently. Their view may give the false impression that the clock at all neubivaemye - unfortunately, this is not so, and I clearly proved. If you wish, you can break anything, even iron ball - so went into a rage, we should not forget that we are on the clock. Let with heavy armor, but this watch, and they will not work if it will pass by a freight train. In my opinion, it is logical :)

What is the most terrible sound may issue a gadget with a screen? That's right, the sound of smashing the screen. And if you do not deal with nonsense, like me, from the G-SHOCK you the sound most likely will not hear. Over 7 hours of testing at the end of the world came twice: in the first case died Electronics (foolishly), the second - the shell itself.
Oh yeah.

Tags

See also

New and interesting