Gramvousa. On a poor pirate Say a Word

Writes Shutter, blackie-again:

It was possible to visit three years ago in Crete.
A good place for lovers of all kinds of abandoned ...

since cars ...

... Finishing buildings, as in the hinterland and in the heart of civilization. It is quite normal picture: on the promenade packed with tourists between the two enticing broadside dilapidated little houses squeezed into something.

But since we are talking about Gramvousa, then look Gramvousa and the remains of a pirate fortress. In general, in the Middle-earth from time immemorial any sailor could be as simple sailor and pirate like today any Somali, depending on the circumstances. By the way, the Roman Empire just pirates and brought to tsugundera. Well fox full, if you think about it: only one ship out of ten, the next from the colonies arrived safely in the metropolis. A nine-where to go? Oh you are my quick-witted ...

Gramvousa sticking out of the water on the one hundred and thirty meters exactly at the junction of the Aegean, Ionian and Libyan seas. When Aeolus coughs, talks there, by the way, not weak. If I was in the galley, hard to thought. Well, in general, the inaccessibility of the island and lokeyshn a key position in the RANS led to the fact that in 1584, the year the Venetians took, and built on the island nonweak a fortress.
This pot with drugs maritime police in Greece burned in the 70's. I checked, the guys are left junkies - voluntarily. Anyway, distracted ...

Island scenery, by the way, remind footage from "Zorro" and other masterpieces "about Mexico." So it seems that now pops up from the thicket of agave mustachioed man on horseback, as two drops like Danny Trejo, in a very broad sombreros and hoarse matyugnuvshis Spanish, stabbed me in the clip of his trusty Colt ...

Rises up - is also a fairy tale. But it's worth it. Types of open - ofigeesh.

In general, the short-lived band played. After over a hundred, in 1692-m castle invaded by the Turks, this has long been fortified licks.

Here you now see the pictures and I bet you think to yourself, "Well, well, man, who are you telling tales! How can we capture the fortress, standing on a rock a hundred and thirty meters high? ". I answer. Without the use of nuclear weapons - in any way. But here intervened notorious human factor. Or rather - betrayal. And merged stronghold none other than the commander of the fortress by the name of Captain Gramvoussa in return residence in Constantinople and a certain number of banknotes. History is silent about whether this figure was later found in his bed with an ice pick in the head, like Leybe Trotsky. But somehow, in the future the fortress completely possessed by the Turks.

It is well known that the Greeks on the spirit can not tolerate turetstskopoddanyh. And yet another redistribution of property under the banner of "liberation struggle of the oppressed from Turkish rule" does not have to wait long. In 1825, the year three thousand Greek thugs, disguised as Turks, once again privatized the whole property on the island, cutting out the local garrison, and dug in on these rocks.

Privatize something they privatize it, but what to do next, without water, food and other pleasures of life, they are poorly represented. Therefore, poraskinuv brains valiant Greeks engaged in the profession to which they have been trained in the best, namely piracy.

I was standing, arms outstretched, trying to pressure forced smile, but really, guys, how scary fox. Down to fly - a minute and a half.

In short. The Greeks have done then rustle in these waters. Only a joint raid Anglo-French fleet three years later put an end to this outrage. The last pirates were expelled from the island, and once-formidable pirate fortress took the view that we are now witnessing ...

Well, goodbye, Gramvousa. I know exactly what Captain Barbarossa treasures still buried in your caves. I sit on the upper deck, and myself humming the song Makarevich, the leitmotif of the spinning head early in the morning. "I come back here. I would just pick a day ... »

via

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting