The stars came out in support Pussy Riot

The other day the verdict rendered. Nadia, Masha and Katya were sentenced to two years' imprisonment. History, split the country on two fronts - one support group, others wish her punishment.

History

It began in February 2012. Soloists Pussy Riot Garaja, Tyurya, Schumacher, Seraphim and Côte called all the most devout group of friends in the "punk prayer" in Christ the Savior Cathedral.

His action, they explain so:
Since hundreds of thousands of peaceful demonstrations do not provide immediate results, we will be before Easter to ask the Virgin to quickly get rid of Putin.

The main purpose of their punk prayer was in two lines:
Virgin, Virgin, Putin Put
Putin Put, Putin Put

Actually, the very "performance." Video gained nearly 2 million views. 12007 users liked, did not like the 12415 users:

As a group of people comment?

What other country could give the world such masterpieces as Pussy Riot?
From perfectly chosen name of the group to the science-based statements in court, clear around - these women know what they do.
The verdict in the case of the punk band Pussy Riot - not only the fact of the biography of three young women. This is another blow to the judicial system and, above all, on the credibility of the Russian citizens.

Artistic

DIE ANTWOORD

In this form the band DIE ANTWOORD were walking on one of the largest music festivals in the United States:

Sir Paul McCartney

On its official website, Sir Paul McCartney laid appeal:

Dear Nadya, Katya and Masha, I am writing to support you at this difficult time. I want you to know that I very much hope that the Russian authorities will respect the principle of freedom of expression for all citizens of your country and will not punish you for your protest. In the civilized world, many people have a right to express their opinion if it does not bring any harm, and I am sure that this is the best practice for any society. I hope that you will be strong and confident that I, just like many other people who, like me, believe in freedom of speech, will do everything possible to support you and the principle of freedom of creativity. I wish you good luck, Paul McCartney.

Yoko Ono

John Lennon's widow appealed personally to Putin:
Mr Putin, you are a wise man, you do not need control of the musicians and their friends. Leave room in prison for real criminals.

Sting

On the day of his Moscow concert, Sting published an open letter:
Terrible that musicians from Pussy Riot threatened with imprisonment up to seven years in prison. Dissent is a legitimate and inalienable right in any democracy and modern politicians must recognize this fact. A sense of proportion and a sense of humor - is a sign of strength, not weakness. Of course, the Russian authorities fully remove these false accusations, and allow women, these artists, go back to your life and your children.

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

My favorite RHCP Many groups also expressed support for the PR. Anthony Kiedis played a T-shirt with the name of the group, two of the Moscow concert, and bassist Flea wrote a letter:
Nadya, Katya and Masha! I think about you all the time. I am sending you the best energy that I can. I applaud your courage, and pray for your release. I will try to convey information about your situation to the greatest possible number of people.

FRANZ FERDINAND

At the recent Picnic "Billboards" Pussy Riot musicians dedicated his hit «Fire», and later the group leader Alex Kapranos tweeted:
Please support the prisoners in the prison of participants Pussy Riot, even if you are not close to their music. I'm sure all of you will not refuse them the right to freedom of expression. The politician, who calls himself a fan of The Beatles and John Lennon, but it puts the musicians for their political views - the worst of hypocrites. Most dangerous. I think, Pussy Riot brave and tough. They do not deserve to go to jail for seven years.

PEACHES

The singer in the style of electroclash produced the music video in support. It is alleged that the shooting was attended by The Knife, Lykke Li, Miike Snow, Peter Bjorn and John, Light Asylum, The Hives, Le Tigre, MC5, Bonaparte, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Scissor Sisters. Confirm it is impossible, because all masked, but you never know.

MADONNA

Madonna also expressed words of support (as well as robust design popiaritsya) at a recent concert in Moscow.

As she talked with a reporter of the newspaper "Kommersant»:
I understand that some people offended by the fact that they were in church. Perhaps it was a mistake. No matter how corrupt the church, the temple - a place which for many people means too many people go there to pray. Probably should not hold this view in the church and outside the church. Maybe it would be even more effective. I believe that they were wrong in choosing the place, but in the main they were right - that they told their performance. I would like them to be justified. Vladimir Putin should forgive them - as an artist, as women, as mothers. They need to be free. The artist is always right when he expresses himself. And the need to react to criticism as it should react to it a strong man. Many times I have "upset" the Church, I would like a few times to separate from the Catholic Church. Yes, I did not fall for it in jail, but that's because I live in a free country, but not in Russia.
And actually it really concert:

This, of course, not the entire list. There are many, many people who have supported PR, mostly punk band. Even Assange himself protested the verdict.

Tags

See also

New and interesting