Rule 50 pages

There is one very simple and incredibly effective way to read only good books. It is called the "Rule of 50 pages" and goes something like this:

If, after reading 50 pages of the book, read more do not want to - the book needs to be postponed, and come back to it in the future is not worth it.

In order to read 50 pages of a book, it is necessary to spend half an hour to an hour, depending on the density and speed of reading text. These will allow to predict the half-hour of interesting and useful content rest of the book with 99% accuracy. If a 50-page book has failed - read it further makes no sense. Roughly speaking, you take a sample from the book. If the first glass of wine is vile sour, it is strange to think that the second will smell Provencal herbs.

In the world of daily produced hundreds of thousands of new books, of which really steep recruited a dozen. It's a few hundred new books a month! Read all of them there is no way, and then you need to read only the best. In order to eat better, you must first learn to distinguish good from bad.

I have never understood people who read books like eating porridge in kindergarten - through force, acidly on his face, hoarding hatred to a piece of molded pulp and its author. We are all adults, not like the book - Set it on a shelf or donate to somebody.

Some will say, "How about that until some books need to reach, grow? Maybe I'm a year or two will be in the mood and I want to read it again? "If we are talking about literature, then yes, perhaps, the sense of taste to certain works may come with time. But nonfikshn-literature that does not work. Over the past few years I've read a couple of hundred different books, and at the moment I can not remember, I wanted to go back to some, well set on the shelf after reading 50 pages. In front of me there is always a new place, much more cool and interesting.

Over time you train nose to the level of the Huskies, and you will miss a couple of dozen pages to say for sure, it's nonsense or interesting reading. I am here now 15 pages long enough, but I usually read through all the same 50 - I give the book only and last chance.

Tags

See also

New and interesting