Nassim Taleb: Wealth is like poison for the rich

When people get richer, they lose the ability to adjust their experience based on their interests. They are losing control over their preferences, replacing them with artificial plants. This complicates their lives and makes them suffer.

But where do they get these artificial installation? Of course, they define those who wants to sell something. This is again a problem of personal interest in the game: the upper class dictate the selection people who hope to earn something by selling, without receiving any side effects.

Given that the victims are rich, and their exploiters often have significantly less capacity, usually the case without charges in someone's address.

I once had dinner in the restaurant with Michelin star. I invited a friend who insisted to eat there, although I wanted to go to a simple Greek taverna, where I ran a friendly owner, and helped him to his distant and near relatives.

The atmosphere in an expensive restaurant was tight.

Mediterranean languages have the expression describing the tube in the anus, which prevents proper ventilation, forming the excess pressure of gases in the gastrointestinal tract — this is the reason for ridiculous stiffness, which can be seen only for educated members of the upper class.

Notice that in addition to the tubes in the anus all the men wore ties.

Dinner consisted of complex changes tiny portions of food with microscopic ingredients and the contrasting flavors, which made the focus as if you pass some kind of exam.

It was not much of a dinner, rather a visit to the Museum in the company of a mad philologist, continuously reading you lecture about some kind of artistic dimension, that you would prefer not to know anything.

The food was so little known, so little that answered my cravings: when by an amazing coincidence, one of the dishes struck me as worthwhile, I couldn't get another bite — it was time to move on to the next.

Making his way through the plates and listening to some nonsense, who carried a sommelier of wine, I was terrified of losing concentration. I had to spend a lot of effort to hide how bored I am. The only thing that could please me — the bread — and he was cold. It seems that warm bread is not included in the standards of Michelin.

Venenum in auro bibitur I left the restaurant, starving to death. If I had a choice, I would prefer a time-tested recipe (say, pizza with very fresh ingredients and a juicy Burger) in a busy institution for the twentieth part of the sum, which cost me dinner.

But due to the fact that my companion was able to afford an expensive restaurant, we were the victims of complex experimental chef, approved by some bureaucrat from Michelin.

This is not the case when talking about Lindy: recipes better, passing through small variations of the Sicilian to Sicilian grandmother's grandmother.

It struck me that rich people were such easy victims. As complains of Fiestas in the tragedy of Seneca, "wickedness is in the hut do not enter", and the Golden bowl more often, you can drink poison than normal (in auro bibitur Venenum — poison is drunk from gold).

It is easy to deceive people by luring them a meaningless difficulty, but the poor are usually spared from this type of fraud.

This is what makes scientists to offer the most difficult decision possible when it can work more simple.

For most of us, the burgers are much tastier than filet Mignon due to high fat content, but people are willing to believe that filet Mignon is better — just because it is more expensive.

One of my rules of life is pleasant to not be present at banquets, like the kind when you have two hours to spend in the chair between his wife Kansas developer and lobbyist out of Washington.

Large vaults

The same applies to real estate. I am convinced that almost everyone would be more happy little home in a cozy neighborhood where you can feel human warmth and to keep good relations with neighbors.

But if you have enough money, public opinion is forcing you to move in huge, faceless and silent mansion far away from their homes. At sunset the silence the spacious corridors really makes me think about cemeteries and the crypts, but without the soothing music.

Moreover, if your house is big enough for him to hire professional managers for a Corporation.

As proved by the French moralist Luc de vauvenargues, clapie, questions that we today call matters of scale, small is often preferable to large.

Some things may be too large for your heart.

A resident of Rome, wrote, vauvenargues, rather liked him when he was a little village than when he became a great Empire.

In a large mansion, devoid of human warmth, inevitably there is a sense of alienation; in a large mansion, inhabited by servants, it has only increased.

Among the rich people there are those who don't look rich, and they clearly understand what we're talking about: they live where it suits them, and instinctively know that moving will aggravate them. Many of them still live in the homes of their parents.

Few people realize what motivates their choices, and ultimately they are being manipulated by those who want them to sell something. In this sense, poverty may be a more comfortable condition.

Looking at Saudi Arabia, which should gradually return to the level of welfare's pre-oil era, I often think about how you would be able Vovenarge to convince them that, having lost the wealth and Roy podhalimskaya foreigners, they will be in a better position.

In other words, if wealth reduces the number of available options, rather than increases (and does not make them more diverse), you are clearly doing something wrong.

Many people mistakenly believe that the idea of propaganda Spartan lifestyle, although it speaks only about the restriction of freedom.

The nonlinearity of the progress and S-curve

Now let us extend our observations to the progress in General.

You want the society to become rich, or, maybe, my dream is to defeat poverty. Who determines your preferences — you or those who you want to sell something?

Back to the experience in the restaurant and discuss the differences between artificial and natural plants. If I had a choice to pay $200 for a pizza or $6,95 for a French restaurant, I would have given $200 for pizza and another $9,95 a bottle of wine.

In fact, I'm willing to pay to not go to Michelin-starred restaurants!

This reasoning shows that there is a level of complexity that does not benefit — economists call it a negative utility.

And then we are able to understand something about wealth and increase so-called GDP: there is an S-inverse curve, beyond which the welfare is to the detriment of you. But to detect it, only if you get rid of imposed on you preferences.

Many countries are now getting richer and richer, and some are already beyond the curve. And I'm sure if the pizza cost $200, people with tubes in the anus was lined up behind her in the queue. But the pizza is too easy to produce, so they make a choice in favor of something more expensive, and pizza is always cheaper than all that shit gourmet.published

©Nassim Taleb

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: //EN.insider.pro/opinion/2017-03-07/nassim-taleb-bogatstvo-like-yad-dlya-bogatyh/

Tags

See also

New and interesting