The rehabilitation of the soul - Holy Saturday: the ocean of meaning

About the forgotten symbolism of Holy Saturday readers says the missionary, archdeacon Andrei Kuraev.

Great Saturday in the liturgical attitude of the day is unusual.

Assume that you have this day to spend especially in the Church, side by side with him. And actually, oddly enough, it may be, will be, alas, malaysiaceline.

Because this day is very much a big fuss, when people in the morning waiting for will begin to sanctify Easter cakes and eggs. And the Church is still your calendar. But what we need to do that day, has long been forgotten.

It was a day of predominantly baptisms, new members in the Church. The service in this day long, so now it usually starts earlier in order to free up more time for those who wish to consecrate the cakes.

The Liturgy is to this day for a long time, with many so-called Proverbs – old Testament readings in which the main theme is water, cleaning and renewal of water. The meaning of these readings is to Preobrazovatel baptisms of people who join the Church for Easter.

Fifty four million nine hundred eighty three thousand two hundred thirty

Photo: Hartum, photosight.ru

In fact, historically Great lent was born as a time of preparation for baptism. And those who fasted, studied the gospel and became ready to join the Christians, the priest was led away from the temple to the water, baptized there, and then they had to return to the temple.

A Christian community was waiting in the temple of their new brothers and sisters. And in order for them to be on the same wavelength with the people being baptized in the service read these passages of Scripture that speak about the renewal of man by water and the spirit. And today this wonderful symbolism is gone. It turned out just a really long service, the congregation is unclear.

People wonder, why these long old Testament reading? And most importantly, that with each reading comes a wave of those who do not want anything in the temple, listening to and waiting: well, when it's all over, finally, will come the priest and find a job – that is, the sanctification of my holiday baskets.

In such a watch, I confess, I somehow have always had their own Church, involvement in the Church secret.

I understand what's happening and why, and to me it is expensive and significant.

What a pity for these people who came with baskets, Easter remains at the level of the culinary events!

What a pity that they deprive themselves of the possibility of such experiences and immersion in the ocean of meaning, which these days and associated services.

Source: www.pravmir.ru/velikaya-subbota-okean-smysla/

Tags

See also

New and interesting