What's stopping You to learn a foreign language?

The author of this article is Vitaly Kolesnik. Currently he owns four foreign languages (English, French, Czech, Italian) and the fifth is studying German. French studied in school, all the rest — alone. Blogging in English — vitalykolesnik.com

Although everyone has long been clear that English is today a necessity of people, or even only fluently read English, still one. What prevents to learn English, especially when at hand are so many opportunities for this?

In my opinion, first of all prevents an incorrect approach to the study of language. If you go in the wrong direction, no matter how you try, or do not. The first step is the choice of direction, and only the second — choice of specific routes. Changing his attitude to the study of language, we will do the main work will provide the opportunity for efficient use of all those methods and techniques, which today is so rich in the field of language teaching.

To find it in the right direction, I suggest you to start to analyse their attitude towards the study of languages on the subject of postulates, which we habitually consider to be solid, but which actually puts barriers in our way. Here are some of them:

"First I must learn the language and then to use it. Someday, when I learn the language perfectly, I'll get into a cool company, I will create an English blog, write a book, I will bring your product to the world market, would marry a foreigner..." actually need to use the language from the outset — and get pleasure from it. Start to reap the fruits of language proficiency not in the distant future, and right now I translate with the dictionary an interesting article, read it untranslated fascinating book, socialize with interesting people, try a new technique and tell your friends about it.

"I won't be able to use the language until I know all the rules. Without a thorough knowledge of the rules, I only commit follies". In fact, you can start to use the language almost immediately, having mastered minimum required a dictionary and a set of rules, which in my experience fit on the page A4. The ability of a person to grasp and convey the sense of huge — if you want to be understood, you will achieve it.

"I have no gift for languages. The languages are only some gifted people, I'm not one of them". In fact, any person who knows how to speak their native language, have an ear for languages. We study your first language yourself, in helpless age, just guessing (often wrongly) about the meaning of the words that we hear. To learn the first language, not knowing any — by definition a more difficult task than to study the following, nevertheless we fulfilled it successfully.

Let's see what other prejudices to the study of languages you have, and then part ways with them.

In addition, the us often prevents the underestimation of the key factors influencing the successful development of the language:

Motivation. Language learning should never be boring. You must be wondering right now, and you should be motivating goal in the future. Out of habit, ingrained by years of demotivating learning in the traditional system, we too easily agree with the fact that now we can be boring, uninteresting, hard, and it's — payment for future success. The problem is that no one will stand over us with a stick, and in another the system is not working. Therefore, make the study and use of language was really interesting, and don't settle for less.

Regularity — and regularity of language lessons, as the frequency and regularity directly use the language. Without this no training and techniques will not work. Just starting to really use the language, you will truly learn it. All the preceding is no more than a prelude, and it is not necessary to tighten. If you want to learn the language, but you have no real need to use it, the only way to create such a need.

Courage. Often we avoid communication in the language in which we think were not proficient. However, we naively believe that after spending several years in language study, we will begin to speak it so perfectly that no one even suspected we were foreigners. Actually achieving this level of proficiency takes decades. So don't be embarrassed, even if you think that your English is infinitely far from perfection. Moreover, in most cases, our interlocutor is not up to our literacy no case.

The only real difficulty that really confronts us in the study of foreign languages is a feeling of sharp discomfort that occurs at the initial stage of language learning when we still absolutely do not understand. We listen to (or read) and wonder how that gibberish could be?

One way to solve this problem is to learn a language on the written text. First, then we can their lack of understanding of dosing, slow down, break up into small parts that no longer seem difficult. And secondly, we have a chance to find a theme that will be so exciting that gaps in the understanding of the text will dorisovyvat our own consciousness.

Another important point which you should pay attention (of course, it applies not only to matters of language): not all of our time equally. There is a time when we are fresh, full of energy and nothing prevents us, — let's call it quality time, and there is everything else. In order to reach your goals, you need to invest in them quality time. Many people habitually devote this time only professional activity, thereby destroying all other goals, which directly do not belong to it — for example, health, relationships with loved ones, self-development. If you really want to learn the language, don't treat them as a residual.

I hope that these tips will help you overcome all barriers and start moving towards your dream.

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Source: romankalugin.com/chto-vam-meshaet-vyuchit-inostrannyj-yazyk/

Tags

See also

New and interesting