Why we are always smiling in the photos?

If people from the distant future look at the photos of XX and XXI century, the first question they will ask themselves will be: "Why do they always smile?"

Upon closer examination, the scientists realize that most of these smiles were not sincere. Perhaps they were the product of some kind of brute force that existed in the society of the twentieth century. Maybe unknown eccentric monarch demanded that all people were always in high spirits, unlike the North Koreans, who were forced to cry at the funeral of Kim Jong-Il.

Our photoculture obligatory smile is not as totalitarian as the North Korean regime, but if You ever dare not to smile in the group photo, You will accuse that You ruined frame his stone expression.

They tell me that I look like a psycho, when not smiling, but is a natural expression of my face. I believe that in the future scientists, after examining my photos, I recognize a reasonable person.

I understand why people like smiles. Same as me. They're nice, comforting, and attractive. Smiling people are more open. Smiles have become true social value.

That's why I don't like the tradition of the obligatory smile. I like smiles, I like that they have meaning. The smile of a person is one of the most beautiful phenomena in nature. Sincerity – that's what makes her special. Natural smiles – genuine smiles – fleeting. They are transient, involuntary transfer of great joy, kindness and gratitude.

How did this strange tradition

The question "Why are we always smiling?" has a fairly simple answer: because we birth been told about it, and whenever we refused to even fake a smile, we immediately fell criticism and comments.

But why artificial smile in the photos have become the norm? It is a historical question, and the answer is a vague and unsatisfactory combination of different factors.

Little more we know about why people never smiled in photos. We often hear that the reasons for this were too slow shutter speeds in the first camera or the lack of standards dental care. (Of course, no one wanted others to see their black, rotting teeth.) But is it really?

It is important to note that the original photography was seen as a very fast way of creating portraits. This luxury could afford only the rich and scandalous smile of a drunkard or swindler was the last thing they would like to perpetuate.

Over time, photography became available to the middle class. However, based rich tradition to take a serious, dignified facial expression on the pictures is preserved.

The smiles on the camera came into Vogue with the advent of Hollywood movies and consumer products. Perhaps it was the fault of the company "Kodak", which sold cameras, claiming that they are able to capture a rare, enthusiastic, sincere smile-inducing moments in life that happen during the holidays, prom, wedding ceremony and other special events.

Over decades, the enthusiasm for capturing those special moments of quieted down. To be photographed has become commonplace. It is, in fact, was the first hint of competition "-who-is-the-happy-life", which are now satisfied users of social networks. Look at the camera! Take our beautiful life! Smile! Don't give them reason to think that we are not experiencing joy!

Our fleeting age of phony smiles

Some people are naturally capable of in the blink of an eye to create a radiant, natural smile. For them, our strange custom of the forced smile – not a problem, because every photo is an opportunity to immortalize one of their talents. The rest of us realize that most often perpetuates the worst in us: confusion, insecurity, pretentiousness, and other forms of personal ugliness.

I'm not saying that the smiles of the people in the photographs always are vicious lies. I just think that the shots work much better when they are less fake smiles.

The problem of sincere smiles is that you cannot create them on demand. They are obtained when You photograph people as they are. The pronunciation of the word "cheese" creates the illusion of smiling people, no more.

The best photographers-portrait painters have always known about it. Take a look at the work of Annie Leibovitz, Yousuf Karsha or Richard Avedon, and You'll notice that the people depicted on them and what is sad, preoccupied, and aloof. But when they smile, it's like in real life, just magical.

We can't all be the Karshi or Leibovitz, but perhaps we should photograph the moments of your life, telling people that their ordinary expression "spoil the image".

I think my words have little effect, because our brains washed enough. I realize how ridiculous this custom, but still telling people that they said the word "cheese" when I take their photos. I'm not sure I can convince people not to smile, or what will be the end result.

I just want to draw attention to how strange that it was normal. Due to the effect of random combination of marketing, pop culture and pressure from peers we live in a strange time in history when we are not allowed not to smile, at least when trying to capture our faces for posterity. Maybe in a hundred years this tradition will disappear, and the people of the XXII century will look at us exactly the same as we men and women in powdered wigs.

In all this there is something more. Human life seems long, but compared to history, it is short. When fancy breaks into our lives, we believe that it always was and will be. This reflects the narrowness of our thinking.

Expand your views on what is natural and right. Don't let anyone tell You how You should look. Smile when you want, but only if You really want it.published

Author: Alexander Dino

P. S. And remember, just changing your mind — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: muz4in.net/news/nastojashhie_ulybki/2016-04-17-40844

Tags

See also

New and interesting