30 ways to make your English speech gourmet

The same idea can convey different expressions, and it is from that, your question will be perceived as a regular interlocutor and literate or intelligent and sophisticated. The more different the words you use and the less beaten speed use, the more elegant your story sounds

Word Supreme (the greatest.) - Adjective, can be used instead of the word classic / perfect, to emphasize the dignity of the subject. < Blunder (blunder) - noun and a verb, can be used with words fail. < Fancy (an elegant, luxury) - an adjective that emphasizes the status or someone new thing, is used instead of good / stylish. < Cachinnate (uncontrolled burst of laughter) - a way to replace the well-known slang saying LMAO (Laughing my a ** off) to more sophisticated - laugh heartily. < Desultory (messy) - a word that can be used, if something happens unexpectedly, rather unexpected / surprising Desultory (so.) - Substitute the word so (so) in the beginning of a sentence. Make your speech is truly a classic. < Aspire for (seek to) - it is possible to use instead of the usual want / wish. < Indeed (no doubt) - ok / right a great alternative.

- London is the capital of Great Britain

. . - Indeed

Jocular (funny, comical) surprise of something more than just LOL, tell me: How jocular (Oh, how funny). < Henceforth (next): not a standard transition to the next step (going forward) colleagues can hit at the next meeting, but word henceforth. < Cherish (nurture) admit its half in love can be much steeper than I love you. Saying I cherish you, you will say the same thing, but with even greater tenderness! < Paragon (the sample): telling someone that he / she is paragon of beauty, instead of the usual you are beautiful, you get exactly the most points in his piggy bank! < Gobs (plenty, plenty): Direct your teacher of English and say the word instead of the usual lots. < Transcendent (an excellent, outstanding): many know the word awesome (incredible), and it is even more refined version. < Atrocious (bad): spilled coffee, quarreled with a friend? This is not a bad day, tell a more refined -! It is atrocious Expressions It occurs to me ... - I think I had an idea ... It is used in the English language when you expect something and express your experience, their opinion about any problems or suggestions.

For example:.

It occurs to me that it might not be such a good idea to go to bed so late

It seems to me that this is not a good idea to go to bed so late
Do not you think ... - Do not you think it would be ... / Do not ... / what do you think ... translation may be many but still always best to focus on the context. Basically, an expression used when you propose an idea or ask someone's opinion again.

For example:?
Do not you think it might be a good idea to invite her for a date
What do you think, whether it is a good idea to ask her out

Au contraire [͵əʋkɒn'treə] -? On the other hand ... Sometimes, to point out a contradiction or refutation, the British use a French expression.

For example:
- This very dinner was the best I've ever had
- Au contraire!! ? What about that one I cooked you last Sunday
- This is the best meal I have ever eaten
-. On the contrary! And what about the one that I was preparing you last Sunday

By happenstance - By a fluke / Thanks to the incredible coincidence, for example:?
Mary was awaiting for a train, and by happenstance I was driving past her just as it started to rain, so gave her a lift home.
Mary was waiting for the train, and by happy coincidence, I passed once began to rain, so I threw it home.

< As good (or other adjective) as (it) is ... strong > - as well (or another adjective) like (noun) ... used to show an equal alternative in comparison

. For example:.
As good as Microsoft security system is, Apple devices have fewer virus attacks
The protection system of Microsoft as good as Apple, so they both faced with less virus attacks

I am indebted to you -. I owe you / follow me does not stand example :.
Thank you for returning my wallet, I am indebted to you
Thank you returned my wallet, I owe you

Whether or not ... -. Anyway ... The phrase is used when we want to indicate that a particular action will occur, no matter what the circumstances.

For example:!
Whether or not she returns the money she stole from me, I will report her to the police
Returns whether or not the money that I stole, I still will return to the police.

Whether or not it rains tomorrow, I am still going to have a picnic!
Regardless of whether the rain will go or not, I still go to the picnic.

«I need one million dollars; ? Perchance you could lend it to me »

Perchance - Probably / Maybe is used when we want to say: there is a chance that this will happen

. For example:
I need one million dollars; perchance you could lend it to me?
I need $ 1 000 000, there is some probability that you will lend me this amount (or is there a chance that you will lend me)?

< If it is alright with you ... strong > - If you do not mind ... We are used to ask permission of the British with the help of structures such as would you mind ... or do you mind ... But you can also ask for permission and the phrase: If it is alright with you ...

If it is alright with you, I would like to marry your sister
If you do not mind, I would suggest the hand and heart of your sister

If I may - If you can / If I may for example:.
I need a moment of your time, if I may.
I need a couple of minutes of your time, if you

If I may be so bold -. I dare say / I will dare to declare Use in cases when, for example, you are in what -That important meeting and you need to make the opposite point of view, but it is important to do it correctly.

If I may be so bold, I would like to say that my country, Antigua and Barbuda, is a veritable United Nations in microcosm
I will dare to say that my country, Antigua and Barbuda, is truly a United Nations in miniature

If I were you / If I were in your shoes -. In your place, this usually the phrase is used when we want to give someone advice.

I should leave that question alone if I were you
If I were in your place, did not raise this issue

Contrary to popular belief - Despite popular belief example:.
Contrary to popular belief, children need boundaries
. Contrary to popular belief about the children, they need to set boundaries

Prior to -. Before / Until We use this expression when we want to show that something has happened or will happen to a particular an event or a specific time.

Prior to her marriage, she was a teacher
Before her marriage she worked as a teacher

I feel like - I feel It is used when you want something and to express their feelings on the subject:.

I feel like more coffee
I want some more coffee.

Keep in mind that for each phrase has its own context, and it is important to always build on it in the translation.

Material prepared by the online school English EnglishDom.

via www.englishdom.com/

Tags

See also

New and interesting