The story of how, as a professional gambler I bought 20, 000 hectares of land

MC Davis, a former gambler and businessman has invested $ 90 million to open the largest private reserve in the United States. Over the past 20 years it has dropped 8 million seedlings, and now it is a forest full of endangered species. Reserve Development Program painted 300 years.

For his 70 years of MS Davies has come a long way from the close of the trailer on a dirt road to a millionaire. Skopje his first capital in the gambling business, it is engaged in trade of land and property rights. So did hundreds of millions ... but 20 years ago there was a turn in his mind.

"It all started when I was stuck in a traffic jam. There was rain and I was very angry, "says Davis, MS. "And then I saw the school marquee that says" Slide Black Bear »».

"I do not know why I went there. I did not even know were there in Florida ever black bears or not. »

It was the usual lecture about native land for the children on how to die is our nature, that it should be protected and preserved. For Davis, it was a revelation, he plunged into the theme of ecology with the same passion with which previously played cards. He began to read books on the environment and it's an epiphany: he devoted his entire fortune Nature Protection

. For 20 years, Davis has invested about $ 90 million to buy land from logging companies and restore forests which have been completely cut down about 100 years ago. His project, he called Nokuse, which translated from the language of an Indian tribe Creek means

«Black Bear". He found the swamp cypress, which used to grow here, and dropped 8 million saplings. But it's not just the trees, in the 20 years he has completely restored an entire ecosystem that has been used on the land. It was believed that these early land (10 million hectares) is covered by forests of pine swamp, which in 1930 is completely cut down and admitted to the timber.

Now it has grown a new forest, home to eagles, ospreys, lynxes, foxes, raccoons, armadillos.

In fact, this is only the beginning of the project Nokuse, calculated by as much as 300 years. Davis himself has not long to live, he had lung cancer fourth stage, but his cause will continue his team. All the money he painted on a long-term program for the development of their project, as well as the maintenance center for environmental education, which he created for the annual training thousands of Florida students.

"I can not change the people of your age," he says, "but give me the fourth grade".
And with this idea, Davis smiles.

Loading ... Loading ...
Liked? Share with your friends!
Loading ... Loading ...

Tags

See also

New and interesting