Chinese scientists have kept hydrogen plasma at steady state 102 seconds

The natural thermonuclear reactor - our sun (Photo: Wikipedia) i>

Recently at Geektimes published the news, that the German scientists were able to get a hydrogen plasma in a stellarator. In the steady state plasma scientists held just a split second. Today, Chinese scientists добились even more impressive results , well advanced in comparison with their counterparts in Germany. The Chinese were able to heat the plasma to temperatures of about 50 million degrees, and the plasma was kept in a stable condition 102 seconds.

The breakthrough of Chinese scientists - this is a real step forward in terms of creating an alternative energy source capable of delivering mankind enormous amount of energy, so necessary for all of us. The experiment was conducted in a fusion reactor, installed at the Institute of Physical Sciences in Hefei (Hefei), the capital of Jiangsu Province.

Photo: Institute of Physical Sciences, Hefei i>

Unlike the Germans, the Chinese people are working with the reactor type Tokamak, their system is called Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST). As mentioned above, the plasma temperature reached - 50 mln K, while the temperature in the center of the sun, according to experts, is about 15 mln K. Up to 50 million degrees and reaches the temperature at the center of a thermonuclear explosion of average power.

Prior to the Chinese "temperature record" was set in the другом experiment, but its duration was a split second, and success was never repeated.

Scientists from Japan and Europe can also heat the plasma to 50 million degrees in their reactors. But talking about any prolonged preservation of the plasma is not in a stable condition - experts are simply afraid that the reactor will melt. As you can see, the Chinese were able to avoid this problem.

And here is the Chinese reactor inside i>

To achieve this record Chinese scientists "working day and night," said in a statement the scientists. And it's really an achievement, because until now no one has ever kept the plasma in a stable state for longer than 20 seconds. The Chinese, they said, were able to solve a number of scientific and engineering problems, including monitoring the position of the magnet, as well as capture the high-energy particles that are "running away" from a magnetic "donut" field, confining the plasma.

And this is the plasma in the German stellarator, photo taken in December i>

The Chinese plan to achieve more significant results - heat the plasma to 100 million degrees and hold it in a stable state for about 17 minutes. Before the construction of the commercial reactor model, which will provide energy, there is still a lot of time, years, say Chinese experts.

In Germany, experiments are now placed on the stellarator Wendelstein 7-X. A longer two experiments to obtain helium and hydrogen plasma. Both experiments were successful.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/270492/

Tags

See also

New and interesting