Lübars David knows how to compensate for the lack of creativity

This man is in constant motion. Colleagues and subordinates Chairman and Chief creatives BBDO North America diva given how easy it can be to switch from one project to another, fully given tvorchestvu.

However, reporters ihaveanidea managed for a while to make David Lübars to forget about work and talk about his very interesting career, starting first baseman Chiat Day, and continuing in the position Chairman & CCO BBDO N. America.

You are in New York. You head the largest agency in the city. Never a thought: "Damn, how did I get here?"? I never thought about it. I am sure that many people know what their strengths professional sides. But the problem is that most of us do not focus or do not notice their drawbacks and disadvantages. My happiness is that I know all their weaknesses. I can not say that he worked in many agencies. But where would not be added to my fate, I was lucky: I found your "white spots" and surrounded himself with professionals who helped me get rid of them. Therefore, my inadequacy in something never makes me depressed, I did not feel lost, for one simple reason - I've always worked in a great team.

When I was younger, often sad. It seemed to me that I be dispersed too slowly. Everything seemed more talented, more steep. Then slowly my credit started to appear prizes and awards. And those whom I considered myself better, for some reason not mentioned at festivals. I wondered: "How so? They're much more talented, much more creative me. " I soon realized why. It was all about my ability to hold meetings with clients. I had an intuitive knowledge of what the customer wants and what he needs. In my asset quality was excellent, but I thought it would be much better if I can combine it with the talent around me creatives. By surrounding yourself with the best creative people, I used my knowledge to help them achieve perfection, and they helped me to develop my abilities.

Pepsi - Pinball

What about lifestyle? Did you ever get a chance to slow down? Slow down is very difficult. I think in this case, my wife and children asked, I tried to spend more time with them. The sacrifice that we all bring, that the remains not a single second. Although, it seems to me that you can still find a balance. All will happen if you do not consider it necessary to judge all competitions, to prepare a speech for every public event and shows all get-togethers to which you are invited.

Mountain Dew - Master

Let's go back to the past, to the agency where you were at various stages of his career. What is the most important lesson you have each of them? What is the knowledge help you now here at BBDO? When in 1984 I was in the Chiat, I was very young. Toko I come from a small agency Rhode Island, where, by the way, in the end, he returned as a partner. But I well remember, as previously thought, "Ohhh ... Chiat Day ... Their customers allow them to do whatever they want to say and do, how to build one or the other campaign».

I walked with the confidence that no matter what the idea, I did not bring, they are 100% sell it to the customer. " The truth dawned on me, thank God, very quickly: it is the most client-oriented agency, and they will check all the 8 million times until you are sure that the idea is worthy. My eyes popped climbed from exploring the inner workings at Chiat.

In Chiat Day everything is open - Lee Clow sat through 4-5 compartments from me. Big. Noisy. Loudly. I wanted him to hear. We did not talk a lot, and I have listened and listened and listened and listened. He could not teach me to creativity, but the opportunity to listen to the wisdom Lee really helped me.

After I returned to Chiat'a Rhole Island and became a partner Leonard Monahan. During this period I became acquainted with the peculiarities of business processes. As the owner, you get access to a large-scale picture and see where the money comes from and where they go. I felt like committing a lot of mistakes, but especially RI (agency work in a small market) allows you to experiment and learn from their mistakes. We have won several awards received, which drew attention. But small mistakes, which were not included in our field of vision, was not allowed to enter the broader market.

From there I went to BBDO West. I hired Steve Hayden, and pretty soon he put me on his shoulders a big burden of responsibility. I thought: "Wow! I should be very cool! He must have really trusted me! ", But looking back, I realize that he just wanted to dump there. (Laughs). Eventually, he went to Ogilvy, and for the first time at me was not a single chief. I began to learn to give orders himself. While we were Apple - the company was going through hard times, this is the period between the two "boards" Steve Jobs. Every day, we lived like a sword of Damocles, feeling like we can burn at any time. I then received an important lesson - learned not to give up, to focus only on work. Then I mastered the "technology" to attract new customers. Projects Apple accounted for while 48% of our business. Their departure would let BBDO West World. So to improve the ability to win tenders, and by the time when Apple's Steve Jobs came back and returned all full circle, this customer was already only 17 percent of business BBDO West.

In Fallon, I learned how to live and what the agency located in the center of attention. And also to find and bring to service big brands. I would not be able to adequately do their job, if not received the valuable experience in Fallon.

Diet Mountain Dew Puppet Show

What do you say now BBDO here in New York? Why do some want to work as it is here? I think most of us consider as television advertising agency, and not just television advertising, and a large, bright, with the participation of many stars. But the reality is in fact that we have grown in other areas. Our prints win at the One Show, our works in the design appear in CA design annual, and we do a lot of cool things for the Internet and other new media. For young professionals it is like to work in a boutique agency, but with access to the vast resources with which people really see what you're doing.

M & M's - The Addams Family

And how do you manage your creative department? We are not exploiting anyone, and not necessarily to earn points, getting my eye in the office on a Saturday night. Each is injected, and if you need to work overtime - we will do it. During the period of the wild Download people forget about the weekend. But when it starts calm, I see no problem in the fact that people use this time to "dozopravki" and comes to 11, or leave early or delayed over the weekend.

eBay - Anthem

So many new forms of advertising, technology appeared recently. You will not terrify the changes and upheavals? Nothing in Creative does not scare me. It's fun and very exciting! I have no sympathy for people who shudder at the thought of taking on new technologies. The essence of creativity is to be open to new ideas.

Twenty-odd years ago Phil Dusenberry - my legendary predecessor - wrote the screenplay for Robert Redford's «The Natural». Today, you can write the screenplays for their customers. That's impressive.

And what I really scared because it's a matter of payment. You represent a client ideas that allow him to make millions. The idea is that we should be getting a commission, but this form of calculation depressing client. Agencies make money for the customer in the literal sense, when they sleep: rollers spinning day and night. But still prefer "hourly" charge. It is unfair, because the time spent on the job, is not equivalent to the value of the idea. For example, when I worked on a project in Fallon BMW Films, the result was the publicity at $ 27 million. In the recession group has sold a lot of luxury cars. But we got only a fixed amount.

Searching for a new payment model is very takes me. It seems to me that the calculation should be based on the degree of success of the campaign.

Once we "develop" one client and offered to pay for our services only after the company's stock will go up. He said: "It's great. Quotes are now fallen, but you are investing in our future. " But when it came to that after we straighten all count our fee, he went back on their word. We refused this client.

FedEx - CavemanBudete teach your customers this new technology? Surprisingly, our best customers have to figure it out for yourself. And turns us to innovate, as well as we do.

General Electric - Jar

Your father was for publicity. What did you learn from him? And what about your own children? Do you think they will go to your father stopam.Moy brilliantly mastered the pen. He edited magazines, worked in PR, advertising, and wrote books. He highly appreciated the ability to write. I think I picked up from him this.

As for my children, I think they will go to advertising. They have a very interesting perspective on things. They feel comfortable in the world of advertising, and many times I took them to the office. But, of course, they should choose the activity only on the basis of what they want.

Cingular - Battle

via / tv-spot / 2007/04/09/16736 /

Tags

See also

New and interesting