Terms creativity by Milton Glaser

The famous New York designer told what we should learn from all creative talantam.Milton Glaser (Milton Glazer) - One of the most famous designers of the USA, the artist who created a huge number of masterpieces of graphic design, including the famous logo I ♥ NY. In addition to practice, 80-year-old Glazer deals and theory: lectures at universities, wrote essays and theoretical arguments about the relationship of design and art and their impact on each other, about the profession of the designer and the complexities of the creative process.

On the Day of designer Website is the speech "10 things I've learned» (Ten Things I Have Learned), which has become a landmark in the world of art and sold on the quote.

Work only with people who you nravitsyaU took me a long time trying to articulate for themselves rule. When I started, I thought the contrary, that the professionalism - is the ability to work with any customers. But over the years it became clear that the most intelligent and good design was conceived for customers who subsequently became my friends. It seems that the sympathy of our work is much more important than professionalism.

If you have a choice not to get a rabotuOdnazhdy I heard an interview with a remarkable composer and philosopher John Cage. He was then 75. The host asked: "How to prepare for old age?". I always remember the answer Cage: "I have one piece of advice. Do not go to work. If lifelong every day you go to the office, once you put out the door and sent into retirement. And then you certainly will not be ready for old age - it catches you by surprise. Look at me. With 12 years every day I do the same thing: I wake up and think about how to earn a piece of bread. Life has not changed since I became an old man ».

Avoid unpleasant lyudeyEto continuation of the first rule. In the 60s he worked Gestalt therapist Fritz Perls called. He suggested that in all respects people either poison the lives of each other, or feed her. This all does not depend on a person, namely the relationship. You know, there's an easy way to check the effect on your communication with someone. Spend with this person for a while, dine, stroll or have a drink with a glass of something. And pay attention to how you feel after this meeting - enthusiastic or tired. And all will become clear. Always use this test.

Experience nedostatochnoYa already said that in his youth he was obsessed with professionalism. In fact, experience - this is another limitation. If you need a surgeon, you are likely to refer to someone who did exactly this operation many times. You do not need someone who is going to invent a new way to use a scalpel. No, no, no experiments, please be careful as you have done and how it has always done before you. In our work all the way around - good one who does not repeat for themselves and others. A good designer wants to use each time a new scalpel or even decide to use a scalpel instead of a garden watering can.

Less is not always luchsheVse we heard the expression "less, but better." This is not quite true. One fine morning I woke up and realized that it was probably nonsense. It maybe sounds good, but in our area this paradox makes no sense. Think of Persian carpets, except in the case of "less" would be better? The same can be said about the work of Gaudi's Art Nouveau style and a lot else. So I formulated a new rule for myself: better when just as much as you need.

Lifestyle changes the way myshleniyaMozg - the most sensitive organ in our body. It is most subject to change and regeneration. A few years ago in the newspapers flashed a curious story about the search for perfect pitch. As it is known, it is rare even among musicians. I do not know how, but scientists have found that people with perfect pitch another brain structure - somehow distorted some shares. It's interesting. But then they found even more interesting thing - if the children 4-5 years old to learn to play the violin, there is a possibility that any of them will begin to change the structure of the cerebral cortex and develop absolute pitch. I am confident that drawing affects the brain as much as music lessons. But instead of hearing we develop attention. The man who paints, draws attention to what is happening around him - but it's not as easy as it seems.

Doubts better than uverennostVse talk about how important confidence in what you're doing. My teacher of yoga once said: "If you think you have achieved enlightenment, you just ran into a framework of their own." This is true not only in the spiritual practice, but also in the work. For me, it formed the ideological position - are questionable, because perfection - it is an endless development. I get nervous when someone believes in something categorically. It is necessary to question everything. Designers this problem appears even in art school, where we were taught the theory of the avant-garde, and the fact that a person can change the world. In a sense, this is true, but most of the big problems with the end of the creative self-esteem. Commercial cooperation with someone else - it's always a compromise, and that in any case it is impossible to resist. You should always allow for the possibility that your opponent may be right. A couple of years ago I read Iris Murdoch is the best definition of love: "love - it is very difficult to realize that someone besides us is real." It's brilliant, absolutely any and describes the coexistence of two people.

It nevazhnoOdnazhdy birthday gave me a book by Roger Rosenblatta "Old is beautiful." The name I did not like, but the content is interesting. The very first rule, proposed by the author, was the best. It reads: "It does not matter." No matter what you think - follow this rule, and it will add decades to your life. Whether you are late or come in time, then you or there, or whether you have kept silent say you are smart or stupid. No matter what your hair and how you look at your friends. Whether you will raise at work, whether you buy a new house, you will get a Nobel Prize - it does not matter. Here is wisdom!

Do not trust stilyamStil - irrelevant concept. It is foolish to give ourselves any one style, because none of them do not deserve you entirely. For designers of the old school it was always a problem, because over the years produced handwriting and visual vocabulary. But fashion styles mediated economic indicators, that is almost like a math - it will not argue. This was written by Marx. Therefore, every ten years, is replaced by a stylistic paradigm, and things begin to look different. The same thing happens with fonts and graphics. If you plan to survive in the profession more than a decade, I highly recommend to be prepared for this change.

Talk pravduInogda it seems to me that the design - not the best place to search for the truth. Certainly in our community there is a certain ethic that seems in some cases even written. But it is not a word about the relationship of the designer with the company. They say that 50 years ago all that was sold with the label "beef" was actually chicken. Since then, I was tormented by the question of what then was sold as chicken? Designers are no less responsibility than butchers. Therefore, we should be attentive to the fact that they sell to people under the guise of veal. Doctors have an oath "Do No Harm." I believe that designers should also have its own oath - "Tell the Truth».

Also read:
- 10 rules work: Ingenious manifesto about life, work, communication and creativity
- Posthumous recognition Art Director: Advertising is not worth

via www.adme.ru/articles/reklama-togo-ne-stoit-462505/

Tags

See also

New and interesting