In Afghanistan, there is a "third sex" - Bacha nous

Once we wrote about fa'afafine - Samoa boys, brought up as a girl. In Afghanistan, found the opposite option - a girl brought up the boys.

In Afghanistan, the boys are still sought after by parents more than girls. From time to time parents are trying to improve their social status, their family if some girls are born, one of the daughters becomes Bacha nous. This means that now the girl will dress only in men's clothes and bring up as her own son. Bacha nous can be translated as "dressed like a boy».

Girls who become bacha nous enjoy all the freedoms that have only boys in Afghan society. They go to school, travel, play sports, and even get a job. Inside the house, and outside Bacha NSP is considered a man and enjoys all the privileges. About Bacha nous always say masculine.

Among the boys, they are held on an equal footing, and many boys are not even aware that among them there are one or more Bacha nous. However, parents can not ignore the growing up the daughter as puberty continue pretending no longer makes sense. Therefore, at the time of puberty Bacha nous deprived of all privileges, and girls are common. Many of those who have been Bacha nous, remembers how hard it was to change the freedom of the Afghan men in humility and invisibility of girls. Now they have to stay indoors, to behave with dignity and never make eye contact with a man. Soon they will get married - in Afghanistan early marriage is practiced.

One of the girls, who grew up as a bacha nous, says: "People use bad words for the girls, they shout at them on the street. I do not want to be a girl. When I was a boy, people behave differently with me. " Another woman says: "I had to learn to be a girl, I forget that I need to be around girls. We have to comprehend all the wisdom from the beginning ».

Moreover, Bacha nous considered poor women, because they simply do not know how to behave when they are women. They can not behave as it should be an example to his wife, do not understand the cooking and are even able to use shouts or hit her husband in the educational purposes. Officially Bacha nous are not recognized by the state, their rights are not regulated by law, but this does not mean that Bacha nous does not exist: in today's Afghanistan, the practice operates to this day.

via factroom.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting