SECRETS OF SUCCESS 8 Stephen King

A few short secrets of success from Stephen King that apply to any activity

Last week, I listened to Stephen King's autobiography, "On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft» (On Writing). Although a fan of this writer, I am not, but I love to read his autobiography, and this was no exception. After reading the book it becomes clear why so much darkness in the works of King. Sigmund Freud No wonder they say that the roots of most adult problems hiding somewhere deep in my childhood.

Stephen King is fluent in the language and, of course, is a successful writer. In addition to descriptions of the episodes of his life and reasoning King in his book provides clear advice to beginning writers. Most of these tips are applicable to any activity, so I decided to summarize them and publish.

1. Do not waste time on nonsense
Many people take the time empty, not leading to anything useful, busy. Previously, it mainly refers to watching TV, now is replaced by a computer. "Still, if you want to be a writer, not the worst option - strip the cable TV, reel it on a steel crutch poke a wall socket - see what and where to fly.»

2. Be persistent
Having failed, do not stop trying to do. King hitched on a nail in the wall of denials received from publishers. "When I was already fourteen, a nail in the wall no longer support the weight of sheets of failure. Replacing carnations carpentry crutch, I continued to write. "After years of work refusals became softer, sent some suggestions to improve the text, and after a while publishers began to take his work to print. But when it became known, could send previously rejected product - and has no one in the head could not come to abandon publication.

3. Do not take to heart the criticism of others
There will always be people who are ready and willing to constructive criticize others. "If you write (books, or pictures, or lepish or sing - anyway), someone will try to instill a sense of shame you for it." Do what you think is right and do not pay attention to the spiteful critics.

4. to maintain and develop its form
The author says that you need to hone and perfect the necessary instruments. "To write at the highest level of their capabilities, should make yourself your tool box and grow these muscles to carry it around with me." As a writer, he talks about vocabulary and grammar. Everyone can determine what tools he needed in his work.

5. engage in what like
"What there is no joy, something was wrong. By reading and writing this applies as much to play a musical instrument, playing baseball or content restaurant. "Long and hard work do not seem severe, if you like, and if you have this tendency.

6. Adhere to regulations and discipline
Do certain amount of work each day. "I have already said that work every day, except Christmas Day, Fourth of July, and his own birthday. It was not true. The truth is that when I write, I write every day, workaholic I am or not. "This allows you to maintain the momentum and complete initiated the case. And if you follow the rule number 5, the discipline - it's not difficult.

7. Think about those for whom you are working
"How do you find a happy medium? Yes, via the ideal reader. Try to imagine, if he does not become bored while reading some scenes - if you know the tastes of its ideal reader at least half as much as I know their tastes, it will not be difficult. "Imagine what will be the reaction of consumers of your work that You doing. Did they like, or something needs to be improved.

8. Work not for money
"Yes, I am his prose chop a bunch of grandmothers, but never put on paper a single word with the idea that pay for it." Returning to the claim 5. - I try to do what you like, and the rest will follow. The pursuit of money can lead to the right course and did not allow to reveal the potential of man.

Tags

See also

New and interesting